No announcement yet.

AX8 on the way. Monitors for home use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AX8 on the way. Monitors for home use?

Hey guys,

I've caved in and have an AX8 on the way. I'll only be playing at home and have no realistic need for studio-grade monitors, but would appreciate any recommendations on decent quality, neutral monitors for use with the AX8. I've considered just picking up an FRFR monitor like the Atomic or Friedman, but anything that you guys running the Axe FX for a while and think is suitable will be taken into account.

What are you looking to spend?

MOSHON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Well, I'm liking it just through my home audio system so far. Obviously not FRFR/hi fi, but jamming with backing tracks and along with MP3s sounds fantastic.

When I move (again) in a year, I'll be looking into picking up dedicated monitors and have been reading about the Yamaha HS80s. They seem like a good choice for price:performance. But regardless, I'd say my budget will cap at no more than $800 for a pair of monitors.

Comment

I wish I had a pair of Atomics to go with my Axe-Fx II. I'm just using basic Yamaha PA speakers for now.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
          Well, I'm liking it just through my home audio system so far. Obviously not FRFR/hi fi, but jamming with backing tracks and along with MP3s sounds fantastic.

When I move (again) in a year, I'll be looking into picking up dedicated monitors and have been reading about the Yamaha HS80s. They seem like a good choice for price:performance. But regardless, I'd say my budget will cap at no more than $800 for a pair of monitors.
          Maybe try to score a pair of used QSC K8 or K10's those would do you pretty righteous I'd think.

MOSHON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Alto TS112a

Comment

I use KRK Rockit's for home monitoring but they are not neutral in the highs really. For playing along to MP3's, they would be more than fine. I don't trust them in a mixing situation though. The HS80's should be great, certainly a step up from the KRK's for home jamming. I use a Yamaha DXR10 monitor for gigging and it's a lot closer to what comes out of the FOH PA than the KRK's.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I picked up one of the Mission Engineering Gemini II powered 2x12 cabinets for my Kemper setup and it works really well for both rehearsals as well as jamming at home. If you don't want to go that crazy expensive, I've had many friends tell me that the Yamaha HS7 Monitors are amazing for doing any sort of audio-related work.

Comment

Working...
                X