NAD x 1 1/2 (more like 1 3/4)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD x 1 1/2 (more like 1 3/4)!

So I've had this Crate V18 2x12 for a few years that I never really cared for tone wise, but always on knew had potential to be a pretty good amp.
    It's LOUD, and VERY touch responsive.
    But, the tone is very dark and muffled, buzzy distortion and the reverb sucks ass. So, it was relegated to a closet for a couple years while I noodled around on a Line 6 modeler when I felt like playing. Tons of tones but very uninspiring. So the other day while cleaning up the place, I pulled out the Crate and plugged in. Same old dark, muddy tone that made me put it away. But, that tube responsiveness is so fucking stellar, and honestly, without having all that much to do, I decided to turn it into an easy project.
    So, I went online and ordered a new tube kit, a couple of Jensen speakers, and a new reverb tank. So far just the tubes are the only thing I've changed and WOW it's got a whole new voice! The responsive didn't change, but a lot of the muddiness and darkness went bye bye. Can't wait for the new parts to show up! It actually sounds pretty good. I'm still in awe at how fucking LOUD this thing is as well. It's a ton of fun to play out of.
    I also got a Bugera 333xl infinium 2x12 that showed up the sane day that the Crate's new tubes arrived. Loud, aggressive, heavy modern 6l6 tube tone that KILLS.
    I got the Bugera because there's NO way the Crate could pull off that kind of distortion without running pedals, and the Bugera's clean channel is pretty. The Crate clean breaks up too readily at volume.
    So, I had a fun day of playing around with these two tube amps probably pissing off my neighbors while doing so.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

really cool, man. Nice to have effectively a 'new' amp that you really enjoy for the cost of a few parts
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Nice man! I'm gonna have to check out Bugera sometime. Seem to be lots of positive stuff said about them.
      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Working...
      X