NAD - Marshall Code 50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Marshall Code 50

So I needed something small, light, and inexpensive amp to use here at the house. Tube amps were out as I needed something a bit more versatile, but most modelers I've tried simply sounded like shit.
    My dream setup would be a Mesa Dual Recto with a 4x12 cab and stomp boxes in the FX loop, but i don't have $2k laying around and I also only need it for here at the house. This would be overkill.

I went down to my local GC and came across the Code 50 and jammed on it for about an hour.
    I've heard mixed reviews on these, so I had to hear it for myself.

All I can say is I'm impressed. Marshall nailed some of the amp models. The JCM800 model is spot on as is the SLP model. Both of which I've played/owned before.
    Some of the others were ok, but would probably sound better with some tweaking.
    The control panel is a bit of a joke. It's fine once you have your patches dial in, but you really need to use the phone app to dig into the full settings for the amps and effects.

Also, it's loud.... very fucking loud. You could easily gig a small club with it. No clue on the speaker that's in it as it's a sealed cab, but whatever it is, it can handle full volume without breaking up.

For $$250, it's a decent little amp.
    GC has a 45 day return policy on the amp, so that should be plenty of time for me to dig deep into it and see if it's really up to the task.
    So far, I'm happy with it.
    -Rick

Cool! I've been wondering about these. Let us know how you feel about it once you've had it a while.

Comment

And it's going back.
      Damn thing all but requires a bluetooth connection to make any meaningful settings changes.
      Problem... it drops the connection every 5 minutes and refuses to reconnect.
      You have to drop the amp from your bluetooth devices and pair your phone and amp again.
      After an hour of screwing around with it, I gave up.

The sound out of this thing is great, but they killed it with the shitty interface choice.
      With that, the search continues.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        And it's going back.
        Damn thing all but requires a bluetooth connection to make any meaningful settings changes.
        Problem... it drops the connection every 5 minutes and refuses to reconnect.
        You have to drop the amp from your bluetooth devices and pair your phone and amp again.
        After an hour of screwing around with it, I gave up.

The sound out of this thing is great, but they killed it with the shitty interface choice.
        With that, the search continues.
        Sorry to hear that. You were so close to being satisfied with it.

This reminds me of my old Vetta II HD. The only way to communicate with it through the PC was via MIDI. I couldn't believe they didn't just put a USB port on there. So I had to buy a MIDI cable and download Line 6 Monkey to do anything. It sucked.

But I now LOVE the Boss GT-100 across my Carvin X100B. It's not only a USB interface, but the software it very straightforward. I don't use the Boss Tone Studio, though. I use the free FX Floorboard.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Just returned it to GC. Apparently I'm not the first one to have this issue with bluetooth dropping out.
          Got a full refund... time to go hunting again.

I also saw them hauling away not one, but two DSL40C amps to get repaired. Both were floor models and both crapped out.
          Is Marshall's quality really getting that bad?
          -Rick

Comment

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a GT-100? I run mine with the 4-cable method and it's an amazing piece of gear.

The Marshall models are very accurate in my opinion. I've made a few JCM and Plexi patches.

Comment

I've never had a reliable Bluetooth anything. I wonder how much more expensive it is to use WiFi instead. Out of curiosity, a while back I looked into those floating fish finders for when you're bank fishing. They send the data wirelessly to your phone and people seem to be much more satisfied with the versions using WiFi.

Someone was selling one of the combos on the local Facebook music gear page recently..maybe it will be up for sale again soon. Lol

It may be just my perspective, but it really seems like Marshall is fading into obscurity. I don't go to GC very often, but last time I went, if I even saw a Marshall amp, I don't remember it. Plenty of L6, Peavey, Blackstar, Orange, ect. And, I remember seeing them. I've also been a little more active on Facebook lately than I have been in years and Marshall seems to not be represented very well there (with musicians) either. The people spending "Marshall" dollars seem to be more interested in Mesa and Orange or going boutique. The low end was never they're strong suite, but I see a lot less Marshall practice amps than I used to and rarely see those MG series heads anymore.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                It may be just my perspective, but it really seems like Marshall is fading into obscurity. I don't go to GC very often, but last time I went, if I even saw a Marshall amp, I don't remember it. Plenty of L6, Peavey, Blackstar, Orange, ect. And, I remember seeing them. I've also been a little more active on Facebook lately than I have been in years and Marshall seems to not be represented very well there (with musicians) either. The people spending "Marshall" dollars seem to be more interested in Mesa and Orange or going boutique. The low end was never they're strong suite, but I see a lot less Marshall practice amps than I used to and rarely see those MG series heads anymore.
                In my humble opinion, the best product Marshall is currently making is their cabinets. I was all excited a couple of years ago to get my JVM410H half stack. After that I bought a Carvin reissue X100B, technically an older technology, added the Boss GT-100, and the Marshall has barely been powered on since.

Comment

I currently have a GT-8 going through two Carvin SX3000 2x12 combos.
                  It sounds ok, but not practical for dragging to a jam session with friends and is still overkill for home.
                  I don't play in a band anymore. That's on hold until the kids get older.
                  My goal is to find great sound (with good low and high volumes) with portability in mind.
                  I played a Mesa Dual Recto 2x12 combo that was great at low and high volume levels, but fuck me it was expensive as hell.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    In my humble opinion, the best product Marshall is currently making is their cabinets. I was all excited a couple of years ago to get my JVM410H half stack. After that I bought a Carvin reissue X100B, technically an older technology, added the Boss GT-100, and the Marshall has barely been powered on since.
                    I don't really have any first hand experience with their cabs, but I will say I love the presence and cut that I hear from them. I assume the G12T-75's are responsible?

@rjohnstone, have you tried the single rectoverb 112 or five:25? Probably easier on the wallet and back than a recto212
                    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                      I don't really have any first hand experience with their cabs, but I will say I love the presence and cut that I hear from them. I assume the G12T-75's are responsible?
                      Yeah, they're the G12T-75's. Ironically, I didn't like them much at all with the JVM. To my ears, they sounded a bit mid-scooped no matter what I did. But just on a whim one day recently I switched the X100B to 8-ohm mode, plugged in the Marshall 1960 with the Carvin cab, and they sound awesome together.

Comment

If you want a portable, modelling-type amp, check out the Boss Katanas. Rave reviews all around
                        Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                          If you want a portable, modelling-type amp, check out the Boss Katanas. Rave reviews all around
                          I’ve heard about those, but haven’t seen one in a store to try out.
                          -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                            The reviews have been great, but I've been completely unimpressed by it from the videos I've seen. Guess I need to try one in the flesh.

Comment

Also check out the Blackstar ID Core series like the 1x12 combo. It might fit the bill if you're looking for Marshall type tones. I use the 2x12 combo. Very easy to use and sounds great!

Comment

Working...
                              X