Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD WOOT!!!!! Warning... Marshall Content!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD WOOT!!!!! Warning... Marshall Content!!!

Just scored a 1995 Marshall SL-X Model 2100. 100w Dual Master Volume. This one is set up from the factory with EL34's.
    These SL-X Dual Master Volume amps have 1 extra preamp tube and gain stage. They don't have the diode clipping of the reverb. Its all pure tube driven.
    As most of you Marshall owners know... the SL-X for some reason gets a bad rap. Well.. its an UNDERSERVED bad rap. I have used the 2100 SL-X in the studio in the past and a few gigs over the years. Never owned one until now.
    This amp rips. The best way for me to describe the tone is it sounds a lot like a Silver Jubilee. Its basically a single channel amp with 2 master volumes that are controlled by a single footswitch. There is no clean tone on this amp. Its just high gain goodness.
    Anyway... it sounds fantastic. It also has a very user friendly effects loop.

The SL-X gets a bad rep from tube snobs who dislike the solid state distortion used in some models

...the irony being the fact that these elitist wankers all put a diode clipping original or 'boutique' reissue tube screamer (because they can't 'settle for less') in front of their all-tube signal path
    because they can't achieve the desired tone without it
    Last edited by Nightbat; 03-24-2017, 06:58 PM.
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Very nice and I agree the amp gets a bad rap. My first tube amp was a Marshall SL-X w/EL34s and I still have it.

What cab/speakers are you using with it?

Comment

Nice grab, the SL-X is a mean amp.

I don't know what you guys are talking about with the bad rap...it's the Dual reverb 900's that get shit on all the time from my experience. In fact, the SL-X is the only 900 I will ever potentially own.

Comment

Originally posted by Aso View Post
          Very nice and I agree the amp gets a bad rap. My first tube amp was a Marshall SL-X w/EL34s and I still have it.

What cab/speakers are you using with it?
          I am using 2 different cabs. One is a Peavey 5150 4 x 12 straight cab loaded with stock Sheffields. The other is a late 80's Randall RG212 2 x 12 slant cab loaded with the stock Randall Jaguars. It sounds great through both cabs.

Comment

Working...
          X