No announcement yet.

Best amp for 80s hair metal under 500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best amp for 80s hair metal under 500?

Right now I have a Peavy Vypyr VIP 1 which I guess gets the job done for what it is but I'm looking to upgrade sometime soon. I know a JCM800 is best but I can't even come close to affording that right now. I was looking at some of the jet city amplifiers and they have great reviews and sound amazing for the price. I also don't know ignore I should get a combo amp again or a head and cabinet. What's your guys opinions?

The Jet City amps are really cool. I've messed around with a jca22 and liked it a lot. I would go with head and cab personally. Having used mostly combos, they're heavy and awkward to move, I would rather make 2 trips but I'm sure some would disagree. Also with a good cab you have a good foundation for additional heads you acquire.
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

you might be able to pick this up under $500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-5150-...oAAOSwSlBYtJGp
      Last edited by z1n; 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Those 5150 combos are the heaviest combos ever. the one I had even had side handles, so two people can carry it. It did sound great.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Are you going to be jamming/ gigging or is this for home practice?

Comment

Laney AOR head and cab. No tube screamer needed.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post
              Laney AOR head and cab. No tube screamer needed.
              I get a JCM800 tone out of mine. DSL's are cheap these days. A head and 4x12 cab is the best way to go, but I'm not sure if $500 will get you there.

Comment

Gallien Krueger 250ML

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
                  Are you going to be jamming/ gigging or is this for home practice?
                  Very good question! Using something like a 6505 for jammin' in the basement seems overkill to me, except if you have deaf neighbors!
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Sovtek?
                    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Sorry for the late reply and the amp will not be gigged, just for home use or maybe jamming with some friends

Comment

Line 6 Flextone/Vetta/Spider?

Comment

Peavey Bandit 65
                          1983-1987 (I can't speak for other model years)

But you'll need to provide your own distortion. I used a Rocktron Pro G.A.P.

IMO, that amp has the perfect "hair metal" reverb. The tone may be blah, the volume may be limited, but that is why we use fx and pa systems.
                          With other units, even my mfx, I simply cannot replicate that reverb. I need to do a combination of reverbs and delays to get that a proper "big hair" reverb that the Bandit could do.

Comment

Originally posted by JS122615 View Post
                            Sorry for the late reply and the amp will not be gigged, just for home use or maybe jamming with some friends

Go try a Boss Katana 1x12 100 watts. Perfect for what you plan doing. Skip the 50w version. Get the 100w as you will have 4 channels instead of 2. See my youtube for sound clips of the Katana.
                            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                              Peavey Bandit 65
                              1983-1987 (I can't speak for other model years)

But you'll need to provide your own distortion. I used a Rocktron Pro G.A.P.

IMO, that amp has the perfect "hair metal" reverb. The tone may be blah, the volume may be limited, but that is why we use fx and pa systems.
                              With other units, even my mfx, I simply cannot replicate that reverb. I need to do a combination of reverbs and delays to get that a proper "big hair" reverb that the Bandit could do.
                              The only Peavy Bandits I could find anywhere close to me were the 112s. Have any experience with them?

Comment

Working...
                              X