Amp Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Recommendations?

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys can giver me some amp recommendations. I've been playing guitar for 2 years now and done what I can to try and play along with the music I love. I have a small peavy blazer that was given to me but I hardly used as it really didn't work. I'm a huge fan of extreme metal thrash,speed, death stuff like that. You guys got any recommendations for amps that can handle that specifically in the $400- 800 range? Thanks.
    Jacksons haven't failed me so far

What did you need it for, just noodling around or are you looking for something you can jam with?

Well... this is probably just out of your price range unless you're willing to buy used, but out of all my years playing the best extreme metal tone I've ever had has been out of my Orange Dark Terror with a MXR 10 band EQ in the FX loop, plugged direct. But it's only 15w, and while it can get really loud, it's not really suitable for more than a rehearsal or practice amp. It really nails, technical / brutal death, doom, sludge, epic metal... but it's a bit pricey for what it is.

If you're still new and just need a good all-round practice amp, the $100 Line 6 Spyder 15 is probably the best sounding inexpensive amp you can get. Sounds like ass mic'd but if you're just jamming at home you don't really need much more. A lot of people seem to like the Roland Cubes but I could never get the sound I wanted out of them. Most of the other micro entry level amps pretty much suck...

Read through the amp threads and I'm sure some of the other ampaholics will chime in with multiple suggestions. lol
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Evh 5150 iii

Comment

If you are gonna spend closer to 800, I suggest tube amps, a used Mesa Boogie mark 3, 4 or 5 will produce epic metal sounds, think Faith No More, really thrashy. A 50 watt tube combo used will run you close to if not slightly more than 800, but its near the best bang for the buck. Or look into Bugera heads and cabs, could spend 250 and get a 50 watt tube head and blow another 300 on a 2x12 cab. theres so many choices, also the older line 6 sound great as well. yet cheaper and solid state.
        93 Rhodes EX Professional 931370
        95 JD-95 Dinky 951012

Comment

I had an older Line6 Spider that was good for metal & pleasuring yourself at home. Not good for live use. Very affordable.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys I'm really just looking for something thats a decent practice amp and something that wont piss roomates too much.

Comment

Boss Katana amps serie! Go with the 1x12 100 watts. Cheap and enough power to play with a drummer and sounds pretty damn good for a solidstate amp. Add to this, 4 channels, USB to modify your presets and FX and headphone output for silent practice.

Meet us on the FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boss.katana/
              JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Oh hey thanks I'll be looking into those

Comment

Micro terror isn't bad for the price, maybe an HT5 more marshally sounding, the 6505 MH seems pretty cool too. I got a line 6 great for practice and messing around and it was like $75 used. For 800 used rectos or a 5150 can be had but they are not roommate friendly amps.

Comment

Yamaha THR10x.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Hey man thanks for the input I'll be checking those out. I've been eye balling blackstars and peavys in the past.

Comment

EVH 5150 III LBX can be had new for $600. The Red setting on that should get you all the
                        distortion you'd want. Hell the Blue side's pretty hot too...

Comment

6505 112 combos can be had for $350-400 used. Same with dark terrors, can probably find a peavey XXX for 400-500..my personal favorite the single rectifier goes for around 600..Really there are countless amps available that would fit the bill in your price range.

If I were just starting out, I would probably go with an hd500 or a spider plus a foot controller. Sound not bad, not the best, but not bad. For the hd500 though, you would need a powered speaker to play aloud. Both have a headphone jack, so roommates would be pleased, both have enough options to keep you busy, and you can take that time to get more exact on what you're looking for in your next amp. Living in Cali probably doesn't hurt if you wanted to try out amps. Take your guitar and picks and go to music stores!
                          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

if you just want a good sound to practice with , get the line 6 spider 15, $130 and its loud and has great metal gunk!
                            Last edited by JoeJackson; 02-27-2017, 09:08 PM.
                            93 Rhodes EX Professional 931370
                            95 JD-95 Dinky 951012

Comment

Now days there are so many cheap amps with built in FX, 1/8 inch line in for MP3, and some can be used direct line to a PA for live use. There is no reason to not own a decent practice amp anymore. Not like when my only option was a Fender Sidekick 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X