Need help with matching amp tone to recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with matching amp tone to recording

I'm having a really hard time with getting my amp to match a recorded song. I know that you an only not get so far with certain amps to certain songs but I'm not quite sure if I'm doing something wrong. Especially with distortion I can never tell if I have to much or to little of anything including bass, mids and treble. Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated

A sample of the recording and a sample of your tone is kinda needed to help you out here.

Comment

^ Agreed. Post some clips and we'll see what we can do. Don't forget to tell us everything in your chain as well

also this is a process that has a million factors and takes years to get your ear to be able to get close.

Comment

I'm not just hung up on one song. It seems every song I play I can never get the tones to match. I have a Peavy Vypyr VIP 1 and a 2007 Jackson DK2 MIJ. For example, if I was playing along to a song and it sounded to muddy and the guitar was lost in the mix. What do I need to add or take away to fix it? I'm sorry this is a really confusing question lol

Comment

I find when I am practicing along to prerecorded material, it is easiest to loop the song a couple times and try to modify my tone to where it "fits in the mix" of the prerecorded material. There is no set rule of knob placement, and sometimes it would look really weird but sounded fine. These days I am using modelers so I have my stereo source plugged into a mixing console along with my modeler. They are both coming from the same speakers, so blending them is easier. I can use the console's EQ to shape the prerecorded material a bit, as well as shape my tone without making it all jacked up.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

if you want to match a recorded sound, you need to mic your amp, stick it in another room and run it through a pa or some monitors. a real amp wont ever sound like an album. If you are getting lost in the mix you need more mid range and less bass. If you listen to isolated guitar tracks most of the time you will not like what you hear.

Comment

Working...
            X