B-52 amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52 amp question

I have owned 3 different B-52 tube heads. 2 of them were AT100's. They are the trimode rectifier heads.
    One of them I still own is the ATX100 which is the 3 channel. I believe it was the latest model they made.
    Anyway.. the amps were designed by Bruce Egnater.... or at least the AT100 was. The AT100's had overheating problems. None of mine did though. The ATX100 has a factory installed muffin fan in it so the amp runs pretty cool.

On to my question to any owners or prior owners of the AT100 or better yet.. the ATX100...

All of these amps that I have owned or own shared the same issue....
    They all hummed pretty loud. I am fairly sure its a transformer hum. Its not effected by channel switching, its not effected by plugging in an instrument cable. It can't be silenced with a noise gate either out in front or in the loop. Its a constant very clear low hum that comes out of the speakers cab. It doesn't change when the master or volumes are turned.
    I can hear it at home but of course.. at a gig it can't be heard. Obviously... its the most annoying at home or on the clean channel and the hum makes recording pretty much impossible (even though I probably will never record with it).
    Has anybody else that has owned or own these amps have the same issue?

On a side note... I thought the AT100's sounded great although it was pretty generic sounding. The ATX100 sounds even better. The clean channel is outstanding and both of the gain channels are totally useable and can almost clone each other.

Is it a 60 cycle hum or lower drone kind of hum?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      Is it a 60 cycle hum or lower drone kind of hum?
      its a lower drone kind of hum. It doesn't sound like a 60hz ground type hum (like a bad cord or ground would sound like).
      Its a very clear low deep hum. Almost sounds like the hum you would hear a transformer make right before it burned out.

Comment

If it has been the same with all the amps it sounds like a transformer issue.
        I had a pico valve amp that did that right out of the box and it didn't last 30 min before blowing its guts.
        Get a good tech to look it over and it may just be a cap or something minor.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah I remember that hum. I really liked my AT-100 (didn't I trade you mine for your JCM 900 4500?) but it was a little noisy.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Isn`t that the same problem that happened to the Ampeg VL Heads? I have the 50 watter, the one Lee Jackson designed and something is wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
            X