Wah issues with a fireball 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wah issues with a fireball 60

Hey guys, I'm having this issue with my Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah pedal, I usually just setup the pedal right in front of the input of the amp, like you'd normally would. Now this kindof gets my cleans a little distorted sounding from the wah, but sounds fine and proper on the distorted channel of the amp. Now when I setup the wah through the amps effects loop, the cleans sound very nice and clear, the wah doesnt distort the natural clean (how I like it), however with this configuration the wah cuts the distorted channel in volume so much its kinda shit, honestly. And it doesnt sound half as good as it being setup just infront of the amp. Is this a ENGL defect? or Is there something possibly with my tubes I should replace? I just read somewhere on another forum that possibly the amp may be vibrating from it sitting ontop of my cab, however I see this as being unlikely as I'm not even cranking the volume. I really don't want to use 2 fucking wah pedals for each channel

Not sure why the wah in the loop would cut volume on the distortion channel and not the clean... maybe the loop return has a relatively high input impedance. edit: actually more likely the effects send level is too high and the signal is getting clipped extremely bad in the wah pedal. Wahs aren't made to handle line-level signal, they're meant for instrument level.

In any case it's not recommended to put your wah in the loop, for the exact reason you mentioned: it sounds like shit. Putting the wah in the loop means all the harmonics generated via distortion are being filtered, so the wah sounds way too pronounced.

Keep running the wah out front. If the distortion is too much, make sure the power supply is good (fresh battery, or enough voltage from your power supply). If it's getting 9 V and it's still distorting, try increasing the supply voltage (use two batteries or an 18 V supply... consult the manufacturer details to make sure the pedal can handle it first), or just try a different wah pedal. Or maybe try running a compressor in front of the wah when you use the clean channel.
    Last edited by metalhobo; 12-10-2016, 07:56 PM.

Comment

thanks! I haven't tried messing with the effects send level in the back though it is maxed on the dial. I don't play live shows or anything but it just confuses me, I'm also using a Morley branded power supply which is the only power supply that is compatible (expensive too), so the power supply is not the issue. I will verify, if it won't work, I'll possibly trade it up and see if a crybaby will respond better. I just really like the laser detection in the Morley for not needing to power on the pedal via a footswitch.
      Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
      Not sure why the wah in the loop would cut volume on the distortion channel and not the clean... maybe the loop return has a relatively high input impedance. edit: actually more likely the effects send level is too high and the signal is getting clipped extremely bad in the wah pedal. Wahs aren't made to handle line-level signal, they're meant for instrument level.

In any case it's not recommended to put your wah in the loop, for the exact reason you mentioned: it sounds like shit. Putting the wah in the loop means all the harmonics generated via distortion are being filtered, so the wah sounds way too pronounced.

Keep running the wah out front. If the distortion is too much, make sure the power supply is good (fresh battery, or enough voltage from your power supply). If it's getting 9 V and it's still distorting, try increasing the supply voltage (use two batteries or an 18 V supply... consult the manufacturer details to make sure the pedal can handle it first), or just try a different wah pedal. Or maybe try running a compressor in front of the wah when you use the clean channel.

Comment

Originally posted by rudociliak View Post
        thanks! I haven't tried messing with the effects send level in the back though it is maxed on the dial. I don't play live shows or anything but it just confuses me, I'm also using a Morley branded power supply which is the only power supply that is compatible (expensive too), so the power supply is not the issue. I will verify, if it won't work, I'll possibly trade it up and see if a crybaby will respond better. I just really like the laser detection in the Morley for not needing to power on the pedal via a footswitch.
        It's a 9 V DC center negative supply. You could use any matching supply, nothing proprietary about it.

Have your tried running the unit with a 9 V battery?

Also, what pickups are you using? Are they exceptionally hot?

edit: are there any other pedals after the wah, or are you running guitar->wah->amp? Try running guitar->wah->amp, with no other pedals (even ones that are bypassed).
        Last edited by metalhobo; 12-11-2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Try an OD or distortion pedal in front of your wah... you'll get the same effect as having the wah in the loop. I think it sounds crappy, but some people like it. Wahs usually sound best out in front as the first thing in the amp.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X