Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb recording/playback questions (studio monitors, headphones, interfaces, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb recording/playback questions (studio monitors, headphones, interfaces, etc.)

Let's assume my setup will be:

Electric guitar --> Guitar cable --> Multi-effects processor --> Guitar cable --> Direct box --> XLR cable --> Line-in on interface --> USB cable --> Computer

If I don't plug headphones or studio monitors into the interface, will my computer play my guitar sound through my computer speakers?

If I plug headphones or studio monitors into the interface, will my computer play EVERYTHING through them and automatically silence my computer's sound card and computer speakers? I'd want a backing track played through the monitors/headphones while I recorded guitar on top of it and not have my computer speakers playing the backing track simultaneously.

Doing this, could I ideally use the monitors as "computer speakers"? My speakers are small and weak, and aren't loud enough to accompany my playing guitar through an amp. I imagine the monitors would pump out enough volume to keep up with an amp.

Note: Feedback on this thread will direct my purchasing decisions. I currently don't own a direct box, XLR cable, interface, headphones, or monitors. I own a seldom-used Blue Yeti USB microphone which is super simple to use, but I want to try recording my Boss GT-6 processor directly instead of playing it through my amp and micing that with the Yeti.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-10-2016, 01:45 PM.

As simple as I can put it, your interface can be set-up to replace your internal soundcard. You select it in "audio options". In that regard, it will play back your sound from your DAW and the computer system sounds (which you can turn off in the "control panel") through whatever monitoring system you attach - either monitors and/or headphones. The interface (at least in my experience and set ups) will not play back through the internal speakers.

My studio has two computers using two separate interfaces. I have my desktop set up with my ProTools HD card and interfaces. My laptop is using a 4 channel Focusrite specifically as an out to my large console (I use the laptop for virtual instruments, synths, and drum software). The desktop is connected to the monitor section of my 24 channel board that powers my various monitors. The laptop goes through the Focusrite to 4 input channels of the large mixer.

Hopefully that helps some.....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks markD! I got lost in your second paragraph, but your first paragraph confirmed what I needed to know. Like, if I wanted to watch a movie or listen to music on my computer but leave all this recording gear hooked up, I could get bigger/better sound through the headphones or studio monitors.

I think I need a bigger desk.

Comment

Hahaha....yes, you could watch your movies and have them sound better!
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Personally I wouldn't pump movie sounds through studio monitors, I'd save them strictly for music recording and playback of those recordings. For one, your monitors may not be able to handle the SPL that movie/TV shows put out (those awesome explosions and gunshots). It's easy to pop mylar cones.

As for signal routing, you have three options:
          First, like you originally posted
          Second, bypass the rack unit and go straight to the Direct box into the interface into the PC
          Third, Guitar into Interface, assuming it has an Instrument level input (depends on the interface)

This allows you to use things like Amplitube for your "amp" sounds.

If you're miking an amp, and your interface has an XLR input, you won't need the Direct Box. The rack unit would run through the amp (in the loop, or into the return into the power section if it's also a preamp).

However, and it may just be a misuse of terminology here, you only run Line Level signals into Line Inputs on computer interfaces, so I'm not sure about running an XLR from a Direct Box into a Line In on the interface.

The Lexicon Alpha is about $50 at Sweetwater, you can plug your guitar straight into it, is USB-powered to save cable clutter, has Audio Outs (1/4" and RCA) for running to your monitors, and has an XLR for that cabinet mic if you want it. It's not a bad unit, especially for a one-man operation.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

My signal routing was inspired by PixxyLixx's video below, which I had to watch four or five times in order to even understand any of it (my experience is nil).

Except instead of following PixxyLixx's example of running amp simulation software like Amplitube, I wanted to try recording my Boss GT-6 direct. I assumed most interfaces had both guitar cable inputs and XLR inputs since even the least expensive interfaces seem to have both.

Comment

Working...
            X