Clean boost ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean boost ?

How do you all use one? In front of the amp or in the loop.
    I assume if it's up front it goes right after the wah? [which isn't used often]
    If in the loop, what's the best order of FX? I'm using a
    simple FX chain in the loop, consisting of chorus, delay
    maybe reverb and now a clean boost. Pros and cons?

A clean boost goes in front, a volume boost goes in the loop
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Typically a clean boost (one that merely boosts input signal without manufactured distortion) goes in front of the preamp, but there's no right or wrong, there's only what works for you. However, I'd check the manufacturer's recommendation on the specific pedal in question, as it may be specially designed for the front or to slam the power section.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use mine to boost my volume during solos, so it's in the effects loop, along with the delay. I actually don't use any effects in front of the pre-amp these days.

Comment

Originally posted by darrellm View Post
          I use mine to boost my volume during solos, so it's in the effects loop, along with the delay. I actually don't use any effects in front of the pre-amp these days.
          What order do you favor? Boost into Delay then return?
          Also, where would a Noise Gate go in a loop FX chain?

Comment

Boosting into another pedal will logically boost what goes into that pedal, which may cause problems for that pedal.

Noise Gate should go after your noise generators, like distortion/drive/fuzz.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

As has been said, clean boost anywhere it's needed in the chain, typically at the front. Noise gate typically at the end of the chain.

I plug direct and have a MX108 EQ in the FX loop for gain boost and EQ shaping. That's all I need or really want these days.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

it depends what you want to use it for. If you plan to push the input of a drive channel for more saturation, obviously put it in front of the amp. If your amp is clean, it doesn't really matter where you put it although, as Newc said, consider whether subsequent pedals will be negatively impacted. Boosting into a distortion pedal can sound great. Overdriving your reverb may not sound as nice.

If you want it for a volume boost, put in the loop. I'd place it at the end of your chain in the loop so that you're not hammering the input of the other pedals. Nobody needs to hear your delay pedal distorting
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Unless that's part of your shtick.

However, some pedals have input level limitations beyond simply distorting, like overloading the input buffer and making it melt.

Comment

Working...
                  X