Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucketbrian45 View Post
    I have the 2 x 12
    man I want to play one. I always liked the way a 2 x 12 combo of any kind sounds over a 1 x 12 combo. The 1 x 12 combo's to me sound boxy or thin. When you have the extra 12 in there you get a more open natural sound to me at least at any volume.

Comment

Originally posted by bucketbrian45 View Post
      I love my EVH 5150 3 combo. Mine has the Celestion GM12 speakers and sounds great and versitile. My favorite thing about the combos is the ability to go from 1 to 50 watts. I'd recommend buying from musicians friends or someone with a good return policy just to be sure you like it.
      I don't want to buy online. I'm the kinda guy who has to sit in front of it, play with it, feel all about it and then when it happens I buy right then and there.
      I have to personally connect with my gear, all of it or I don't buy it. I'm way to picky about my tone. I can't play what I don't like to listen to. but thanks for the tip, it's a really good one for those who do purchase online.

Comment

Guitar Center has 2 heads in stock, One new and One used. I really want the 2 x 12 combo for 3 reasons.
        1) It has the Power reduction - I love the idea of being able to turn that down and play at home and not wake the dead but retain same sound quality when running full power.
        Owners please chime in and tell me about this feature if it's worth getting the combo for or not.
        2) Reverb - Not a deal breaker but if it's useful I see this as being very beneficial.
        3) All in one - I've played Combo's most of my Guitar life and really like having everything in one box. Transporting this is so much better then a head and cabinet. But today's smaller 1 and 2 12 cab's are very cool and lighter then a 4 x 12 cab, I still feel having everything in one box the way to go.

Opinions?

Comment

I simply love my 50 watt head with it's 2x12 cabinet. Yes, the volume drop between channels 1 and 2 exists. But I never use in my gig a "Fender clean" tone.
          Besides, this amp responds so well to guitar pot volume or guitar pick intensity that I don't need to switch regularly.
          I had dozens of hi gain amps before and this is the best one I have ever had.
          When playing thrash metal, all my chords are clear even with mondo distortion. Very reliable too, I never had even a minor problem.
          Mine is white.

Comment

Originally posted by schizotronic View Post
            I simply love my 50 watt head with it's 2x12 cabinet. Yes, the volume drop between channels 1 and 2 exists. But I never use in my gig a "Fender clean" tone.
            Besides, this amp responds so well to guitar pot volume or guitar pick intensity that I don't need to switch regularly.
            I had dozens of hi gain amps before and this is the best one I have ever had.
            When playing thrash metal, all my chords are clear even with mondo distortion. Very reliable too, I never had even a minor problem.
            Mine is white.
            Awesome man, Did you bolt your head to the cabinet? They have that Fender lean back stand thing I was wondering if the cab or the head came with the mounting hardware.
            Also do you use Midi to switch channels? If so was it as easy as they say to program it? I assume you can switch from channels 1-3 and Reverb on and off with Midi, I have a GT100 I want to control it with.

Comment

Another question...
              Since I can't seem to get them both in the same room together, does the 2 x 12 combo sound as good or better then the Head and cabinet? I know you can bolt the head to the 2 x 2 cabinet and use the Fender lean back thing. I didn't see that on the 2 x 12 combo.
              I played the Head but not with it's cabinet. I haven't heard the 1 x 12 combo in a while.
              Talk to me Fellow 5150 owners

Comment

The 212 combo sounds great, as do all of the EVH amps. Biggest issue is going to be portability. Most guys are switching to lightweight setups for ease of transport, and the 212 is far from light. It won't break your back so long as you eat Wheaties, but it's worth thinking about.

Also, don't get wrapped around the axle of that power reduction feature. The EVH amps are all preamp and sound fine at low volume. Even the 50w head has good low volume manners.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                  The 212 combo sounds great, as do all of the EVH amps. Biggest issue is going to be portability. Most guys are switching to lightweight setups for ease of transport, and the 212 is far from light. It won't break your back so long as you eat Wheaties, but it's worth thinking about.

Also, don't get wrapped around the axle of that power reduction feature. The EVH amps are all preamp and sound fine at low volume. Even the 50w head has good low volume manners.
                  The 50 watt head is amazing. I almost picked it up last weekend after playing it for awhile as I knew there was many tones and songs inside that head.
                  The Power feature I like due to home practice. Having that ability is a wonderful idea.
                  My other reason is having a high gain high watt amp running at low volumes especially tubes I'm wondering if any damage occurs? The power reduction circuit I gotta believe is designed to be used all the time with no strain on the amp or it wouldn't be there or would it?
                  I wish EVH made a more up right 2 x 12 cabinet as I don't like the looks of the low boy they make now. It's kinda stupid looking if you ask me. Another reason I prefer the Combo over the Head and cab. I'm sure if I purchased it I'd get over it real quick but really take a look at it and then look at the combo. This isn't for anyone but me. I can be in my basement in my practice room and feel some kind a way on how that looks.
                  Anyway thanks for the input man.

Comment

I know this as fact. The EVH sounds MUCH closer to Eddie's original tone than ANY 6505/5150. As Dave metioned, just like the first 2-12 5150 combos. Holy shit they were heavy. They didn't get lighter with aging. My 1-12 6505+ sounds great, even the cleans/crunch ar cool, and it's loud and lighter..not the case with the old ones.

I must try EVH again. I tried the first EVH and Kranks the same day. I was dialing my "Ain't Talkin..' riff , but no instant love. I hated the Kranks. I couldn't get squat from those. The EVH is much better IMO..kinda like a Soldano SLO w/ more gain. It has the right kinda mids, but I think you have to push them to get the goods.

I like amps that don't sound "bad" no matter where the knobs are. Blackstar, Bogner, 6505+, Marshall JVMs, VHT/Freyette..ect. Just plug and go, and season to taste. If I can't get a tone to work with within' THREE minutes...it's next amp. I'll know instantly by gain structure and tone..tube, SS or both.

C'mon Eddie is not going to put his name on something that sucks. Say what you will about his playing (some don't like it)..I love the guy! He KNOWS tone.. guitars, amps, pedals ect. He put super strats, modded amps, and tabs on the map. Seriously none of us would be on here, if it wasn't for Eddie. He always did it his way, and still going his way.

OK, I'm going to buy a EVH half stack now. So, thank you..dickholes.

Not right away..my son is moving this month, he always comes first.
                    Last edited by horns666; 05-15-2016, 11:48 PM.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I grew up with Van Halen but didn't play his music. I felt I couldn't nail his tone or his feel when I was young. So I went away from playing it to my Hero George Lynch who I can play and nail his feel, not so much his tone but Dokken was much easier to play then any Van Halen song.
                      Fast forward to today and I can play Eddie's stuff and get some of his feel right. I always respected his playing as it's about as unique as it gets. No one plays like him. To me he can be considered one of if not the best overall Guitarist who ever lived. Thats a bold statement IMO as there are so many greats and I like most of them.
                      But back to the amp, this 2 x 12 combo intrigues me. Everything about it feels right. I so just want to plug into one so I can make a decision if I'm gonna buy it or not. On paper it has exactly what I'm looking for. I've been disappointed but so many other amps I've played. Blackstar is what I thought was gonna work but I always walk away thinking it's not the one.
                      That little HT5R single 12 was really nice but something told me it's not the one.
                      8th Street Music is NJ carries EVH gear so I'm gonna take a trip there today and hopefully they got a few in stock for me to try out.

Comment

VERY nice...Cool review. I'll Be trying and probably buying one in the very near future. I hear you on The Best overall. I'm partial to Uli, and Jeff Loomis, amoung others. But Eddie is why I play.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I think once you play it you'll fall in love lol. It's my favorite amp and the only one I've actually kept.

Comment

Working...
                          X