Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Carbon Copy VS Boss DD7

Hello all,
    I picked up the Carbon Copy as I have read many good things about this Delay pedal. I connected it into my Effects loop and noticed a few things about it.
    The Pedal adds some low end to the signal or maybe blocs some of the high end to appear to add bass. This is with the pedal in the OFF position. With the True Bypass and no Buffering , it shows the coloration of your cables I believe.
    The Delay functions on it are wonderful. They work very well, easy to use and control very nicely. You can get as much delay as your hearts desire out of this pedal.
    It's well built but as usual just like 30 years ago when I was using the MRX Distortion Plus , you have to unscrew the bottom of the effect pedal to get at the Battery compartment. Not a big deal if you are using power supplies, but if you use batteries then this is annoying.
    I compared this to the Boss DD7 which in it's own right is a fantastic pedal and probably can be said sets the standard which all other delay pedals should be judged.
    This has no noticeable tone change when in the loop. It acts like it is not there until you turn it on. This however has a more natural sounding delay and is as warm and inviting as a Delay pedal should be. Man this thing is awesome. I love the tonal warmth it has, what I mean it retains your sound when on or off.
    Boss does Batteries right, you just unscrew the front screw and your in. Seconds to change a battery. I got lost in my playing demoing the DD7 which to me means this is the right one out of the 2 for me. The MXR which when I sat down to test these pedals, I thought the MXR was going to clearly win this. Not the case Boss does delay right and IMP better then anyone else on the market in this price bracket.

If I decide to go back to all Pedals, the DD7 is going to be apart of it. The MXR Carbon copy will not.

I've got a Carbon Copy, it works great for me.

They do make a Carbon Copy Bright now. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/carbon-copy-bright
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have been flip-flopping my take on my two delay pedals: MXR CC and a DD3.
      I currently use the MXR for short delay, DD3 for long.

As far as tone goes, the MXR has a vibe to it that either fits a song or does not. I really enjoy the MXR on early Van Halen stuff. The DD3 is accommodating to everything and sounds better than the MXR on 80's pop & glam.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
        I have been flip-flopping my take on my two delay pedals: MXR CC and a DD3.
        I currently use the MXR for short delay, DD3 for long.

As far as tone goes, the MXR has a vibe to it that either fits a song or does not. I really enjoy the MXR on early Van Halen stuff. The DD3 is accommodating to everything and sounds better than the MXR on 80's pop & glam.
        I find the Carbon copy alters your tone where the Boss DD7 which is basically the same as the DD3 does not.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
          I find the Carbon copy alters your tone where the Boss DD7 which is basically the same as the DD3 does not.
          This statement confused me. It seems to contradict your earlier statement that, because of the true bypass & lack of buffer on the CC, "it shows the coloration of your cables"

It seemed less like that the CC was colouring your tone & more that you prefer the effect the Boss buffer has on your tone.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

i would have to use very short cables to confirm exactly where the tonal change is coming from to be sure. I tested these pedals with 10 foot cables. But when the CC was in the loop it altered the tone where the Dd7 did not.
            Thinking about it it's gotta be the true bypass vs buffered wouldn't you agree? So I think the tone change is the loss of high frequencies over the 20 feet of in loop cable vs with the buffered you only hear 10 ft which sounded like no change at all.
            So also saying the CC changed the tone when off can still be a true statement from a certain point of view.

Comment

Working...
            X