Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using the Boss GT-100 with 4-Cable Method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mantis View Post
    I messed around with Floor Board and I actually prefer Boss Tonelab better. I can switch things on the fly easier , tuner pops up on the screen when you enter into that mode and saving patches I feel is much easier. Not to mention assigning Pedals to Effects while your in a patch so if you want to turn something on and off while in a patch I assign that function to one of the pedals. This is extremely easy in Boss Tone Lab.
    Again thanks for the share as at least I got to try something different.
    That's cool. I haven't delved into either one enough to really have a preference yet.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

• Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      I don't use the preamps (modeling) in any of my GT's. The preamps (that includes the cabinet simulation) are not on. I set my GT's to manual mode, I use the 4 cable method and I use them as a all in one "pedal board". Volume pedal, wah pedal and overdrives or distortions out in front, everything else is set in the loop.
      that's it, exactly what I do with my GT8 I've been gigging with for 8 years or so.

such a killer unit once you learn how to use it (and what NOT to do). don't use the amp models w the 4 cable method. 4 cable is to allow your own amp tone to shine through and put the effects where you want them, after the amp and not before it in the chain.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

• Originally posted by skorb View Post
        that's it, exactly what I do with my GT8 I've been gigging with for 8 years or so.

such a killer unit once you learn how to use it (and what NOT to do). don't use the amp models w the 4 cable method. 4 cable is to allow your own amp tone to shine through and put the effects where you want them, after the amp and not before it in the chain.
        Wow still rocking the GT8, that was my first GT unit. I probably moved away from that one to fast as I couldn't get my amp to sound like itself when I had the 4 cable method wired up.
        I felt like I lost about 10% or so in my amps original tone even with everything off in the GT8. But that unit taught me about how powerful these units are and moved me back to Pedals for a very short time. Once I moved to pedals, I completely missed the ability to control everything in my chain with patches. So when the GT10 came out a friend of mine picked it up, hated it as he couldn't figure out how to use it and traded me for my pedals for the GT10. It was a very good day to say the least as the GT10 was such a better sounding unit then the GT8 IMO. I sat with that thing for a full weekend and learned the hell out of it.
        I kept that things until the GT100 came out and I watched a bunch of videos, listened to clips and learned about all the improvements Boss made to the GT100 over the 10.
        It went on sale at Guitar center and they wanted your pedal trades or Old GT units so I got a damn killer deal on mine.
        It was a bit of a ruff start with it as it's very different but some things the same. It was another learning curved but now that I got it pretty dialed in, I love the thing.
        For the sheer hell of it I picked up a Ibanez Tube screamer and a MRX Delay and tried out single pedals, just those 2 where annoying to manage and they came right back out and the GT100 went right back in.

Comment

• I've learned that some of the preamps can actually be tweaked to sound VERY decent to my ears, so I'm enjoying the best of both worlds with it. I have a couple of killer patches dialed in using just OD straight in with some pedals in the loop, and others using preamps straight up or mixed with my amp's preamp. Some say that's a no-no, but I'm not so sure because it sounds great to me.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but so far mic placement, mic type, and distance have made no detectable difference in the sounds, and speaker type has made very little.

Comment

• Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but so far mic placement, mic type, and distance have made no detectable difference in the sounds, and speaker type has made very little.
            I imagine they would have a greater effect going direct or when recording. Your actual amp & speakers would dominate over the subtle EQ changes that the emulated speakers & mics make
            Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              I imagine they would have a greater effect going direct or when recording. Your actual amp & speakers would dominate over the subtle EQ changes that the emulated speakers & mics make
              Is there a way to override that and use speaker emulation and mic placement? I'm trying to dial in "that" sound and I'm at about 97% now.

Comment

Is there a way to override that and use speaker emulation and mic placement? I'm trying to dial in "that" sound and I'm at about 97% now.
                Each Patch you build with a Boss amp if you scroll to the right on the tabs inside the Amps page under the Effects chain, you can dial in the cab's and mic's.
                This is even easier when using the Boss Tone Lab, not sure how to do this in Floor board.

Comment

Each Patch you build with a Boss amp if you scroll to the right on the tabs inside the Amps page under the Effects chain, you can dial in the cab's and mic's.
                  This is even easier when using the Boss Tone Lab, not sure how to do this in Floor board.
                  I know. What I'm saying is that I hear zero difference between different mic positions, mic distances, and speaker types. It's like these settings aren't doing anything at all.

Comment

I know. What I'm saying is that I hear zero difference between different mic positions, mic distances, and speaker types. It's like these settings aren't doing anything at all.
                    Really? I can hear a difference every time I play with those settings.

Comment

Really? I can hear a difference every time I play with those settings.
                      It's strange. Every other adjustment I make has an obvious effect on the sound, but mic distance and mic type do nothing. Speaker type makes a very tiny difference.

Back when I had my Vetta, all of these made a blatant difference. Don't get me wrong, I like the GT-100 across my Carvin WAY better than the Vetta, but I really do want to explore these settings. I'll experiment some more today.

Comment

Working...
                      X