Solano SLO 100 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solano SLO 100 head

I talked about it briefly on my Charvel Pro Mod thread but I figured I'd make a thread about it here as it's been on my mind since I played it.
    Whats very attractive about this amp is the clean channel. It's about as clean as a Fender Twin reverb which I set the standard when I judge any clean channel by the Twin. I owned 2 of them and there is not a clean channel on the planet earth I think sounds better and punchier then a Fender Twin Reverb.
    The SLO100 does not disappoint here. Man is it clean and punchy with NO break up no matter how hard you attack your guitar. That is exactly what I like in a clean channel. I didn't get to run any pedal with it but I can safely assume it takes modulations very well. I bet it also takes OD pedals out front very well. WOW I love that clean channel. I currently own a Krank Revolution 1 and my clean channel is very similar to to the SLO100. I'd love to do a side by side to see which one is better. I'll call it even for now.
    The Crunch mode was very rock and 80's sounding. Probably one of the very best crunch if not the best crunch mid range drive I've ever heard while I was plugged in.
    Man if you do a lot of that kind of music I can't see loving this amp. Damn it's good.
    The OD channel can get you to 80's metal but not anything heavier from my limited fooling around with it. I got awesome sounding gain but not where I'd like it to be. My Krank is a higher gain amp and has gain like I like it to be. Honestly I'm loving the ENGL Fireball 100 gain sound better as it seems tighter and more focused. That amp from what I have heard has a tightness that is un matched by anything I have heard. It's basically the perfect gain for what I like to sound like.
    But i'm completely unsure about it's ability to be clean like the Krank or the awesome SLO100.

I've seen you tube videos of the SLO100 sounding like a high gain monster. The one I played did none of that. I'm wondering if they where modded or there is more to the setup then the front panel adjustments.

Do any of you own a Solano? Do you play Modern Metal or want or like Modern Metal tones? I guess if you ever heard a original 5150 head , that was probably the god father of the first step towards todays Modern Metal gain tones.

Anyone want to share their experience with the Solano heads in general?

I owned an SLO100. I agree. Not nearly as much gain as people would think. I also own a Metaltronix M1000 which was considered a super high gain beast Lee Jackson built amp and it too doesn't have nearly as much gain as people would think. Heck... I would say that the SLO100 that I owned had roughly 1/2 the gain of a 5150. Great clean channel I agree. Terrible stock effects loop. Put anything in it... even a patch cord jumper and it was like putting a blanket over the speaker cabinet. The SLO100 is VERY reactive to speaker selection. It seems to love V30's if you want that "high" gain sound. It also sounds great with T75's if you are doing the Warren Haynes thing. Throw a good quality tube screamer in front of an SLO to hit the preamp tubes in the teeth and LOOK OUT!!! I would suggest the Maxon OD808 or any quality TS9.
    So... I answered some of your questions so now answer one of mine. How do you like that Krank Revolution 1. I have a chance to buy one but the reviews I have read online are love it or HATE it. I play in an 80's arena rock metal band so I am all about the high gain 80's sound live.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      I owned an SLO100. I agree. Not nearly as much gain as people would think. I also own a Metaltronix M1000 which was considered a super high gain beast Lee Jackson built amp and it too doesn't have nearly as much gain as people would think. Heck... I would say that the SLO100 that I owned had roughly 1/2 the gain of a 5150. Great clean channel I agree. Terrible stock effects loop. Put anything in it... even a patch cord jumper and it was like putting a blanket over the speaker cabinet. The SLO100 is VERY reactive to speaker selection. It seems to love V30's if you want that "high" gain sound. It also sounds great with T75's if you are doing the Warren Haynes thing. Throw a good quality tube screamer in front of an SLO to hit the preamp tubes in the teeth and LOOK OUT!!! I would suggest the Maxon OD808 or any quality TS9.
      So... I answered some of your questions so now answer one of mine. How do you like that Krank Revolution 1. I have a chance to buy one but the reviews I have read online are love it or HATE it. I play in an 80's arena rock metal band so I am all about the high gain 80's sound live.
      No problem man and thanks for the input on the SLO100.

The Krank Revolution 1,
      It has a remarkable clean channel very like the SLO100. I'd say it's based off the Fender Bassman 10 head if you remember them. They where some very nice cleans but slightly darker then lets say a Twin Reverb which I have owned 2 of them. It takes effects extremely well. I love putting a Chorus and Delay in the effects loop. It sounds amazing. Boosted out front of the clean channel sounds great 2. It takes any kind of Tube Screamer, OD or Distortion pedal you like and it's like having one in front of a Fender amp.
      The Krank channel is brutal like a 5150. It has super high gain and it's very clear and deep. I use my gain around 3 which is all I need to get some remarkable Heavy Metal Tones. Drop D and stuff like that sounds crazy on this amp. It has a very strong mid range , awesome low end and crystal clear highs.
      I use all Seymour Duncan Pickups and man to the growl on this amp.
      Getting Rock tones is a challenge as even when the gain is on 1, it's still have that attack most Metal guys love. I much prefer a Pedal in front of the clean channel to get anything AC DC like. The amps not built for that kind of tone internally.
      It takes Sovtek 5881/6L6GC power tubes and 12AX7 preamp tubes 4 each. I replace the Power amp tubes at least every 6 months and the preamp tubes once a year or when I feel they are losing tone.
      I got mine brand new back in 2006 and I have always looked at other amps to see IF there is anything out there I would like better. So far I have not found a single amp that I would replace it with. I paid a bit over $20000.00 as I got the upgraded Chrome Grill.

Comment

I've never been lucky enough to even try out a SLO in person. I've heard lots of clips, and as such, it has become almost a holy grail for me. That's why I bought a Hot Rod 100 plus, because according to Mike Soldano, the HR100+ is basically the same pre-amp as the SLO, but without the same trannies that are apparently a good part of the SLO sound. The Hot Rod was a great amp, but I sold it because of the stupid effects loop, and because at band volumes it tended to sound what I would call "stiff." Also, believe it or not, I felt like it was being buried in the mix. I like an amp that cuts through without getting harsh. I imagine that's why the trannies in the SLO make so much difference. It's the difference between being poked or punched in the gut. I even started building my own SLO clone, but with an EL34 power section, and HUGE Hammond iron. I guess I really don't expect it to sound like an SLO, but whatever.
        In the meantime I ended up buying a Rivera Knucklehead II, and to be honest, it sounds a lot closer to an SLO than my Hot Rod did. I've been using the KII almost exclusively since I got it because it's got that same big, authoritative sound like a SLO, and the clean sound is truly a Fender type clean. One day I might get my psuedo-clone finished, but in the meantime I'm happy with my Rivera.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
          I've never been lucky enough to even try out a SLO in person. I've heard lots of clips, and as such, it has become almost a holy grail for me. That's why I bought a Hot Rod 100 plus, because according to Mike Soldano, the HR100+ is basically the same pre-amp as the SLO, but without the same trannies that are apparently a good part of the SLO sound. The Hot Rod was a great amp, but I sold it because of the stupid effects loop, and because at band volumes it tended to sound what I would call "stiff." Also, believe it or not, I felt like it was being buried in the mix. I like an amp that cuts through without getting harsh. I imagine that's why the trannies in the SLO make so much difference. It's the difference between being poked or punched in the gut. I even started building my own SLO clone, but with an EL34 power section, and HUGE Hammond iron. I guess I really don't expect it to sound like an SLO, but whatever.
          In the meantime I ended up buying a Rivera Knucklehead II, and to be honest, it sounds a lot closer to an SLO than my Hot Rod did. I've been using the KII almost exclusively since I got it because it's got that same big, authoritative sound like a SLO, and the clean sound is truly a Fender type clean. One day I might get my psuedo-clone finished, but in the meantime I'm happy with my Rivera.
          I have heard many good things about the Rivera amps. I just wish someone around me would carry them. I've been wanting to plug into the Knucklehead for quite some time. it's one of those amps that seem to be a special model.

Comment

I played Riveras pretty much exclusively through the early nineties. They are fantastic, they just drip great tones, and are built like a tank. With that being said, I haven't played one in probably 20 years. I may have to look into one again. ��
            "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I've played the SLO a few times and have been in love. Its very easy to dial in. It sounds big and expressive. I set it up with the gain, bass, mids and presence maxed and pull back on the treble a lot. I get a late-ratt tone and it sounds great! I wasnt blown away by the clean channel. A few years ago, I had a 5153, Jet City 100 and Custom SLO module for my MTS setup. While designed by mike soldano, the Jet City was by far the worst. The module nailed it, but was noisy. I kept the EVH. It has a great clean channel too. I had a krank Rev jr 50 watt for a few weeks and thought it was a 1 trick pony. It was ok at metal but the high end was hard to tame. I agree that it has a good kleen channel. These days, I'm into fryette amps. They're just so damn good.

Comment

Working...
              X