Mesa 2x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 2x12?

Hey guys, haven't been on in awhile but have a question.

Might pull the trigger on a craigslist deal for a Mesa Recto 2x12, Any one have any experience with one of these?... I know the get allot of praise and I'm certain it'll be an upgrade from my Bugera "vintage" 2x12

i have a Marshall 1960bv cab and love the way that sounds so I want something around the same line to practice with. Oh yeah I'll be running a Peavey vtm60 / orange micro terror (for practice) through it .

Let me know what you guys think!, cheers !

I have a Mesa 2x12 horizontal and it's great. I use it for smaller places, or when I just don't feel like lugging any of the 4x12's. Although it's weight is still fairly significant. They sound great. The closed back with the V30's really are a nice combo. I don't know what the price or condition is, but if both of those are good then go for it. You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer sounding and better made 2x12. Good luck with the decision.
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Personally I prefer 2x12s. Not quite the same but I used to have a Mess vertical halfback 2x12 loaded with EVs. That thing was astounding! Also had an older G-flex before they changed the speakers. I don't think you could go wrong with a recto 2x12
      1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

I had a vertical Recto 2x12 for many years. I HATED it until I cut the back in half. I am a weirdo though, I like open back cabs and the looser feel they give....
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

One the Mesa Vintage 30's are different than any other vintage 30's they are old spec vint 30's made only for Mesa. The cabs just sound great. I have had recto cabs in all shapes 4-12' 2-12 vert and horizontal and 1-12 vert slant. Just awesome honestly.
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

The mesa 2x12 over sized is huge sounding. Its a small studios best friend. I'm buying another one too. I like these better than the orange 2x12.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback!
              I ended up going for it, Got it for a good price and the thing is pretty much mint.
              Sounds absolutely amazing and it has made in England Vintage 30s( not sure if that means anything or not I know they are made in China now a days)

Comment

I bought one in the mid 90's and it's one of the leather ones.
                It weighs a tonne!
                I used to use it alone with a dual rec tremoverb combo.. just for the whole 4x12 vibe.
                I've still got the cab and I recently compared it to my soldano 2x12 with eminence legends.
                The mesa cab is considerably darker. I preferred the soldano.

Comment

Eminence legend speakers are probably one if not the most under rated speakers in the industry. Iv'e compared them to a few things and keep going back to them for a few reasons
                  1) They are amazingly clean when driving them with a clean amp
                  2) They have powerful low tight end.
                  3) The are very crunchy when using a crunch channel
                  4) They are crazy strong with a super high gain amp behind them.

Very versatile speaker IMO and I like them over all the Celestion models.

Comment

The Mesa 2x12 cabs were probably the best 2x12's on the market for a long, long time. Right now though, I'd opt to get an Orange 2x12. They're fairly heavy, and sadly MIC, but the tone... damn.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Anyone tried out those 2x12 g-flex genz benz that George Lynch was using? never tried them myself, they at least look cool.

Comment

agreed :-)

Comment

I love the Mesa 2X12's they are solid and very consistent sounding. I've always had one
                          at my disposal. no matter how many other cabs I've gone thru there is always a Mesa 2X12 around.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
                            Anyone tried out those 2x12 g-flex genz benz that George Lynch was using? never tried them myself, they at least look cool.

Yeah I honestly didn't really like it. It was not balanced to my ears liking at all. Seemed really cool but for my ears we never got along. A big part of that too could be eq method and actually learning the cab which I wasn't that interested in. I think someone could get great tone out of it, i.e. George Lynch but for me it was too high and too low. Kinda sounded like a cheap subwoofer and shrill at the same time to me.
                            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                            X