Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amp Channel Switcher and Effects Switcher in One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the GCX/Ground Control for a couple of years. It controlled my MIDI changes in my rack effects, my loop on/off, my stomp boxes in front of the amp, and channel switching (1/4" latching) with a 2 channel amp. Not sure how it would be done with a three channel amp, but my rig was a beast. SO many effect/channel options AND everything was programmed into the Ground Control with names, so I didn't even need a set list anymore because all I needed to do was look at the GC and read the screen!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Update (to keep from starting another thread):

I picked up a Joyo PXL Pro to try the looping and channel switching. Figured it would be a cheap POS but thought I would give it a try for the price and the reviews were not bad.
      The looping function works great with four up front and four in the loop, tuner out with mute and has four triggers for switching. I wired an adapter for the EVH 7-pin DIN to three 1/4" mono jacks. After probing the EVH footswitch, I finally found what pins to use but only utilized the individual channel pins and shared the common 16V for the all three. The PXL can change the triggers from latching to momentary and reverse polarity. Finally got the channel switching to work but ran into issues with cannot switch from channel 3 to channel 1 (or visa versa). At this point I am not sure if the issue is the PXL, the adapter or just cannot be done. I did check with Joyo and EVH and neither were any help. No answer from Joyo and EVH would not give any suggestions.

Probably no one has tried the PXL Pro but has anyone had success with reputable manufactures that offer channel switching an EVH( besides the amp gizmo)? How was the adapter cable wired?
      Last edited by Big Al; 09-25-2016, 09:16 PM.
      No honey, I have always had this Jackson....

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        I use a Boss GT10, the other guitar player in my band uses a Boss GT10 and my best bud who is in a few VERY popular local metal bands uses a Boss GT100.
        I will tell you what we use them for (I programmed all of them).

Channel switching the amp, effects both PRE and POST preamp (basically you can drag the effects around using the 4 cable method so that you can have a wah and distortion boxes out in front and all your time based effects in the loop. I also have the onboard pedal set up as a volume boost and a wah with a slight volume boost.

These systems work flawlessly with little to no coloration. Its very nice to have all the effects you could ever want, channel switching the amp, noise gates and a tuner.

The only thing you won't be able to do is switch channels on your amp AND simultaneously switch effects. That's a job for a midi switcher and since your amp isn't midi you won't be able to pull it off.

On a side note.... I don't see any benefit of getting the GT100 over the GT10. If you wanted to go even cheaper you could go with the GT8 which works fine also.
        Good advise but I disagree with the comment " I don't see any benefit of getting the GT100 over the GT10". I have owned all 3 GT's listed above and I tell you for sure that they got better since the GT 8. Forget the Amp Modeling, I don't use it and when you have an awesome amp like the 5150 III why use any of that crap. I call it crap because I feel Boss does a horrible job of Amp modeling. They don't sound anything like the real thing. Horrible copies at best.
        BUT the effects are TOP NOTCH especially for the money. What you get with a GT product is a ton.

So for your setup Amp switching sucks. You have a 3 channel amp and the GT 8 10 or 100 can only switch 2 channel IF you have a 1/4 jack style control input. Standard foot switches usually have 2 buttons not just one. This is a HUGE oversight and stupid move by BOSS. How many amps out there use just 1 button foot switches for amp control and how many use 2? Do the math and learn that BOSS is run by a bunch of idiots who thought a single mono amp control out was a good idea, Clowns!
        But on the other side of things which I saw mentioned above is Midi Amp control which directly your amp does not have but someone might make a Midi to the 7 pin Amp control like the one on your amp. I hate all this crap as the 5150 III 50 watt has Midi and works flawless with the GT-100 as I owned the 50 watt head and Midi was awesome.
        Once you figure out amp control with your setup the GT-100 I'll say as I feel it's the best out of the 3 by far for sheer sound quality alone you now have a very powerful floor controller with all the effects you'll ever need. 4 cable method is powerful as you can place as mentioned above the effects in the order you want , in the effects loop etc. Volume and expression are both on board as well as a Tuner and Noise also mentioned above.
        There is really only one thing you have to consider with the GT boards, no matter what anyone says they do change your tone slighty. If you take the GT any one of them, less with the GT-100 and more as you go older ones , your clean channel sounds a bit compressed and not as dynamic or open. It still rings clear but slighty less responsive. The Drive channel you lose more I feel as it sounds like it's dynamic range has been squished. When I had the EVH 50 watt head, I hated the drive channel sounds. I didn't keep it long enough to spend countless hours dialing it in like I have with my Krank Revolution 1 but man it really changed the tone for the worse.
        So with all the being said I think the TC electronic option might be exactly what you want. You will still have the issue with amp control as your head has it's own way of doing that, which to me is stupid but it is what it is and if you love that head well then you have to deal with how it controls. You just have to find 3rd party products that can convert Midi switching to your amps 7 pin switching style. Honestly I wish all amps used Midi as Midi is the shit. It's flawless and you can control all aspects of amps with it IF they all had it like Reverb Eq's channels etc.
        Good luck finding what your looking for just be prepared for some frustration. Limiting your funds may limit your ability to get what you actually need to do exactly what you want it to do. Something this is an area where you need to be willing to spend whatever it takes to get the job done right. I think it's worth it as nothing worse then trying to manage your rig while your trying to play.

Comment

http://www.microdesignum.cz/obchod/p...-8L4R1D-P.html
          Jackson Soloist SL3 ( Japan 2002 )

Comment

Working...
          X