6505+ issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6505+ issues

I just picked up this head at a pawn shop here in reno for dirt cheap. my issue is the clean, crunch channel has no balls, sounds good but no volume, and the tone controls dont have any effect. The red channel just kicks ass, all the volume is there. I'm thinking pre amp tubes, what do you guys think?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Tone controls may have come loose from the board, or were bypassed. Slap it around and wiggle the knobs, see if things improve.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Also, when you push the clean/crunch button there is no difference in volume-gain. But like I said the lead channel is fine?
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I would start by replacing pre amp tubes and see if that makes any difference.

Comment

I had almost the same issue with a 5150. Changing tubes had no effect so I sent it to a few places. Every amp shop I brought it to wanted me to send it back to Peavey because it needed a control board replaced or something of the sort. They wanted almost as much as I paid for the amp to do the repair so I just sold it as-is and bought a new amp.
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Same thing happened to me with a 5150-II and a 6505+ which are basically the same amp. Both times it was preamp tubes.

Comment

I have not had a chance to try pre amp tubes yet, I'll do that this weekend, and keep you posted. Thanks.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

turn the amp on. let it warm up and then take it off stand by and tap the preamp tubes with your finger nail one by one and see if one is microphonic, tone suddenly comes alive etc. could be a bad solder joint too or one of the pins on the tubes aren't contacting the socket etc. the sockets for the tube pins might need to be closed up a bit with needle nose pliers etc... obviously turn the amp off for last suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                X