No announcement yet.

Problem with drop tuning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand where you guys are coming from and it sounds like you talking variations of a half step here and there. That's not too big a deal. BUT if you're playing stuff a full step or even a step and a half (I've heard some that sounded 2 steps away) even the casual listener will notice. My wife was even able to tell and actually told the band it sounded like shit even after I asked her not to. It really does change the whole dynamic.

With solos, that is exactly what I mean, the memorable ones....Crazy Train, A Tout Le Monde, Hot for Teacher, Cemetary Gates....get it close or everyone will know.
    Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Nah, only musicians will know.
      Plenty of people change keys to match a singer -- or to transition into the next song.

Setlist design plays a part in it to. Would you put a Drop B death metal song next to Uptown Funk --- probably not.
      But the same can be said for going from Poison's I Want Action to Firehouse's Love of a Lifetime. Both have the same tuning, bother are in the same key, but the content is completely out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
        Would you put a Drop B death metal song next to Uptown Funk
        I might, but not in Drop B. Std B ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          Nah, only musicians will know.
          Plenty of people change keys to match a singer -- or to transition into the next song.

Setlist design plays a part in it to. Would you put a Drop B death metal song next to Uptown Funk --- probably not.
          But the same can be said for going from Poison's I Want Action to Firehouse's Love of a Lifetime. Both have the same tuning, bother are in the same key, but the content is completely out of place.
          Look, I understand what you are saying AND where you are coming from with it. That said, I still can not agree with you, but I can agree that it does depend on the material. I spent 13 years as rhythm player for a juggernaut of a metal cover band and saw many openers go on to bigger things and others just fall apart. It's really no coincidence that the ones that didn't make it are the ones that cut corners but shifting songs to improper tunings. I will go back to the 2 tunes I used earlier Over the Mountain Eb tuning and 5 Minutes Alone D Standard tuning. You'd think, no big deal, but it really is and is quite noticeable if you try and do either tune in the other tuning. Try playing Black Label Society in a tuning other than C, it doesn't work. Where it may very well work for some stuff, on others it simply doesn't sound right. What if you want to go from Master of Puppets to something by Sepultura (no too odd a combination) you just simply can not fake either in the other tuning. It doesn't work.

There are not too many metal cover bands that carry enough weight to play around the country, and I find myself very lucky to have had the awesome experiences I've had so I am indeed speaking from real world experience. There is a right way to do things and a wrong way............
          Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            What pickup are you trying to use? A Super Distortion or EMG 85 are excellent at drop tuning. A JB sounds horrible drop tuned.

Also, your amp settings will probably have to change a bit.

I have no problem playing any tuning. I often go from E to flat, to drop D to drop C# and never really had an issue except with drop C# being a bit flubby. And that's with 9's.
            I have a ton of guitars but the ones that don't sound DISGUSTING are the ones with EMG's. I have 2 Les Pauls running 81/85 in both 9V and 18V configurations. They don't sound as bad as any of the other guitars but they still sound horrible and muddy. Yuck. I love the band. I love the songs. I HATE the drop tuning.

Comment

Working...
            X