No announcement yet.

NAD Jet City JCA20H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was jamming on my stock JCA20H running through a Blackstar 2 x 12 cab loaded with Celestion 80w speakers last night and loving every minute of it. I use a ZW44 Zakk Wylde pedal out in front. Perfect combination.
    I compared this rig to several other amps I have in my amp room.
    Highly modified DSL100 head
    Peavey 6505+ head
    Marshall Haze 40 1 x 12 combo running through a 4 x 12 cab
    Crate V18 loaded with outboard pedals for gain
    Line 6 Spidervalve 112 1 x 12 combo.... Bogner all tube powered
    Fender Princeton Chorus loaded with outboard pedals for gain and effects
    Peavey Triple X 1 x 12 combo

My opinion... after owning several Soldano amps is..... I really like Soldano gain structure and voicing. Its open sounding yet saturated. The best way to describe it is it sounds like less gain then it actually is. I love how the amp reacts to the volume knob on the guitar. To my ears... if I was to compare the JCA20H to a known pro players sound I would say it sounds like a cross between EARLY Richie Sambora and Lynch from Under Lock and Key with a touch of early Mick Mars mixed in.
    I think I am going to investigate the JCA50H. I heard that its pretty much a duplicate of the Soldano Hot Rod 50.

Comment

Well, I was drilling out the rear of the chassis with a 7/16 drill, I slipped and I tore some resistors out of the board. Now I need to replace them. Here is a picture of the 2 I need to replace. I know that large one is a 2W 1% Metal Film 470 ohm resistor. The smaller one is a 220K 1% Metal Film but I don't know what the wattage is. I know its a lot larger than a 1/4 or 1/2 watt. I am thinking its a 1 watt? I highlited them in red boxes.
      Let me know. I need to order them today.l [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

John, bummer about the slip of the drill. I had some time this morning and had a look around. I found a schematic for your amp.

http://starin.info/Product%20Info/Je...0Schematic.pdf

But I couldn't find the service manual. The service manual would give you the part info that you are looking for. (R47) The closest service manual I could find is the JCA22. It has the R47 location listed as a 2W. You can check it out here. http://starin.info/Product%20Info/Je...0Schematic.pdf

Although I don't know if they are the same. If you can track down the correct service manual, you'll be golden.
        Hope this helps a little, and good luck
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Amazing as it might seem.... I am having a very difficult time finding the 2 resistors that I need to get this amp up and running.
          They are both metal film resistors. 1 is a 2 watt 1% 470 ohm and the other is a 1 watt 1 % 220K.
          Are their any amp builders here that have them in stock? I tried the usual Digikey and Mouser online with no luck.

Comment

OK, I installed the loop and now the amp doesn't work. Only 1 power tube lights up. I took the loop out of the amp (figuring maybe I didn't wire it correctly even though I checked and rechecked my wiring 5 times)and it still doesn't work. I tried swapping the EL84 tubes and whatever tube I put in that socket doesn't light up.
            What would cause a tube to suddenly stop lighting up?

Comment

Working...
            X