No announcement yet.

Mesa Boogie Mark V :25, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice! I tried it today, and think it definitely sounds better. I seem to get a nice 'singing' sound where the higher harmonics of some notes sustain longer than the lower ones. Very nice. I didn't play for too long 'cause I took pity on the neighbors. If you're interested, I've posted an excerpt in the techniques section.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

Until I figured that out, I thought I made a very expensive mistake with the Mark V At first I couldn't believe that people thought of this as a high-gain amp.

I forgot to answer your previous question, Cliff. I was in a bit of rush when I first replied. I'm good but very, very busy these days. In the past couple of years I've split up with the mother of my son, met a new woman, moved, put my house up for sale, gotten married, gotten promoted at work and had of lot of success. I'm not complaining, I've never been better, it's just a bit much in a short time
      Last edited by javert; 03-22-2015, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Busy is good! Congratulations!
        My other signature says something funny

Comment

I got one of these two weeks ago. Being a big Mark fan I really like it. I am using it for practice saturday, my only concern is the clean head room. We shall see. Sounds awesome in my basement.
          I keep the bible in a pool of blood
          So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Except if you have an extremely loud drummer, your Mini Mark V should be just fine. My Mini Rectifier is very impressive for its size. As for "clean head room", well it all depends if you really need a "super" clean sound. But yes, it may break up a lil' bit. let us know! I have terrible gas for that new Mini Mark V but can't justify the spending right now...
            JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
            Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Yeah it held up just fine for what we were doing.

Comment

Congratz!
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                  Yes, I use the power amp sim from the Torpedo Live along with my JMP1 preamp. I have the sim set to EL34 and I also use a bit of the EQ in the Torpedo Live. Makes for a much lighter rack and you're right, no bleed through from guitar cab mics. My rack has the jMP1, a JFX1 multi effects processor, rack Wah, Korg tuner, a power strip. I have another similar rack at home without the Torpedo Live but has a Marshall Dual Monobloc power amp. That thing more than doubled the weight of the rack!
                  Best tried and true tone machine in the world!! Wassup Rudy!!

If you can't get a killer tone out of that Marshall rig...hang it up, drive a cab, jump rope, blow bubbles or somethin'..

Mrk V's are pretty cool. The larger head sounded very , nice and warm, but a bit saggy to me. Went on a major buying/selling/trading/ binge recently. Results is, I have a Blackstar HT 60. It literally is a smaller grab N' go version of my beloved Marshall. It's sounds more like my Marshall rack than the Marshall JVM 410 I bought and returned. I like Mesa Mrks Waaaay better than Rectos IMO!!

The Mesa are not too noisy and are pretty versatile. I had a Mesa mark III and it wasn't far removed of the IV as I remembered. Sounded like Gary Moore "Corridoors of Power"..kinda tone. ..and Brad Gillis. So that's a good thing!

Congrats!!
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Best tried and true tone machine in the world!! Wassup Rudy!!

If you can't get a killer tone out of that Marshall rig...hang it up, drive a cab, jump rope, blow bubbles or somethin'..

Mrk V's are pretty cool. The larger head sounded very , nice and warm, but a bit saggy to me. Went on a major buying/selling/trading/ binge recently. Results is, I have a Blackstar HT 60. It literally is a smaller grab N' go version of my beloved Marshall. It's sounds more like my Marshall rack than the Marshall JVM 410 I bought and returned. I like Mesa Mrks Waaaay better than Rectos IMO!!

The Mesa are not too noisy and are pretty versatile. I had a Mesa mark III and it wasn't far removed of the IV as I remembered. Sounded like Gary Moore "Corridoors of Power"..kinda tone. ..and Brad Gillis. So that's a good thing!

Congrats!!
                    Marks are a way better amp than a recto but most people really don't know how to eq a mark or a recto for that fact. Good tubes and knowing how to eq a recto goes a long way. I think there are far better options than a rec for sure but they don't deserve the awful tag. They are just overpriced for what they are. If you are just going to throw in emgs scoop kids and palm mute you can do it way cheaper than a recto.

I have never given the blackstars a spin. I think I might like them.

Comment

Working...
                    X