Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG 85 vs 89 (humbucker mode and sigle coil tones vs EMG SA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 85 vs 89 (humbucker mode and sigle coil tones vs EMG SA)

Hi EMG says that there 89 pickup is very similar to the 85, has anyone test both to compared?

Also the say that the 89 has two pickups in one and the single coil mode is very similar than a EMG SA, anyone test this?

PS: cant you split a normal EMG humbucker to a single coil? looks like not because they have those ¨Dual-Mode¨ pickups.
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

Never compared or even tried an 89 but can answer the second part.. No, you can't split an 81, 85, etc..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ohh ok, well didn't know that, Thanks!
      custom made Les Paul
      VOX Tonelab LE
      ADA MP1
      BBE 422A
      Lexicon MPX-G2
      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
      Support Your Local 81

Comment

Yeah, I'd say that the 89 is a pretty close approximation to the 85 when it's not tapped, and that it sounds kinda like an SA when it is. Though to my ears, the tapped option sounds thinner than the SA..
        Popular is not the same as good
        Rare is not the same as valuable
        Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

VWall guitars did a run of 10 Jackson KV2Xs about ten years ago. I had one and it had an 81 in the bridge and an 89 in the neck. The 89 was split to single mode with a push/pull volume knob. I remember the single coil mode in the neck position sounded really good. I have no reference to the SA though and can't really compare the 85 to 89 when one was in the bridge and one was in the neck. I did like the overall tone of the entire guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            Yeah, I'd say that the 89 is a pretty close approximation to the 85 when it's not tapped, and that it sounds kinda like an SA when it is. Though to my ears, the tapped option sounds thinner than the SA..
            That was the basic point of an 89, I thought. Have 85 tone but being able to split the humbucker...
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
              That was the basic point of an 89, I thought. Have 85 tone but being able to split the humbucker...
              +1- That most certainly is the point....

http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/hum...l-mode/89.html
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

The 89 is actually two separate pickups - the stacked SA and true-single S. They share the preamp. You're not splitting the pickup as with a passive humbucker, you're turning on one separate pickup and turning the other off. The main reason the "split" 89 in a 2-hum sounds so different from an SA in an H-S-S is the location of the SA - IIRC, in the 89, it's the inner coil, putting it farther away from the neck. Since singles work best on the harmonic node of the string where the 24th fret resides, you get a tonal difference with a 24 fret guitar than a 22 fret, because the single is pushed further back. With a split 89, it's compounded by the fact that it's even further away, especially on a 24 fret.

On a 22 fret 2-hum, the inner coil of a neck 89 will be in the same position as a single of a 24 fretter.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

They also make the 89R, which puts the single coil nearer to the neck to address this issue. http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/hum...-mode/89r.html

Comment

Very interesting... so for the bridge pickup the should split the coil like a P-Bass so it recreates more of the slat position of a normal gridge single coil.
                    custom made Les Paul
                    VOX Tonelab LE
                    ADA MP1
                    BBE 422A
                    Lexicon MPX-G2
                    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                    Support Your Local 81

Comment

IMO the 89 is the best EMG....have several 89 equipped guitars with a push-pull pot for selection.

It is an split-able 85.

Always sounded great to my ears.
                      Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
                        They also make the 89R, which puts the single coil nearer to the neck to address this issue. http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/hum...-mode/89r.html
                        Interesting, since the idea of rotating the pickup had only occurred to me when I saw this thread
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                        X