No announcement yet.

Thinking of Selling my Axe-Fx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried pretty much all of the options out there: amps, modelers into a tube amp, modeler into FRFR, etc. Also, have tried everything from Zoom to AxeFx. I've found that I can adapt to pretty much whatever I use. Just go with whatever you enjoy the most and rock out. Nothing wrong with selling an AxeFx. I sold my Ultra a few years ago.

Currently I use a Boss GT-10 into the effects return of a Randall RM50B tube combo. It makes me smile and is inspiring to play through. Works for me.

Comment

I know this is about AxeFx but I tried to go modeling route with the Gt-8 I know lesser unit flame suit on. I tried running it thru Marshall El34 50/50 power amp , FFR powered speakers. I spent all my time tweaking this or that and was never really playing anymore just editing patches. I gave it a couple years and eventually came full circle back to a few pedals and a EVH 5150III 50 wt . Now I just play and accept the tones I do have which are actually quite versatile. I quit chasing the tone dragon I still sound like me regardless of the amp just slight differences. What got me back to reality was something Ted Nugent wrote about when Van Halen opened for him back in the day. Eddie was just killing it playing and tone wise. Uncle Ted asked if he could plug in at sound check and try Eddies guitar and rig. Eddie let him and guess what Ted said he pretty much sounded like Ted. If editing is bothering you go back to playing your guitar dump the AxeFx and enjoy the instrument. Remember unless you are making a living playing covers work on your tone and style and have fun. Chasing Tone is an addiction like Heroin you never attain the tone of the masters tweek all you want. Rant over . Whatever your choice play and have fun life is to short to be frustrated.

MrHiwatt
      Mesa JP-2c Mesa 2x12 V30
      RR1 Black
      RR1 Blue ghost flames
      Stealth EX
      Hamer Studio
      Boss pedals,TC, HBE

Comment

Originally posted by mrhiwatt View Post
        I know this is about AxeFx but I tried to go modeling route with the Gt-8 I know lesser unit flame suit on. I tried running it thru Marshall El34 50/50 power amp , FFR powered speakers. I spent all my time tweaking this or that and was never really playing anymore just editing patches. I gave it a couple years and eventually came full circle back to a few pedals and a EVH 5150III 50 wt . Now I just play and accept the tones I do have which are actually quite versatile. I quit chasing the tone dragon I still sound like me regardless of the amp just slight differences. What got me back to reality was something Ted Nugent wrote about when Van Halen opened for him back in the day. Eddie was just killing it playing and tone wise. Uncle Ted asked if he could plug in at sound check and try Eddies guitar and rig. Eddie let him and guess what Ted said he pretty much sounded like Ted. If editing is bothering you go back to playing your guitar dump the AxeFx and enjoy the instrument. Remember unless you are making a living playing covers work on your tone and style and have fun. Chasing Tone is an addiction like Heroin you never attain the tone of the masters tweek all you want. Rant over . Whatever your choice play and have fun life is to short to be frustrated.

MrHiwatt
        I agree with all of this above...

I've gone back and forth between SS amps, modeling rigs, tube amps...everything, chasing tone. While I don't own an AxeFx, I've played around with one for a while. I own a QSC PA rig so there was no lack of quality there. I'm no slouch with electronics, I fear no gear. So it wasn't for lack of effort getting good tones out of modeling. It never fails, no matter what gear I have, I end up with MY TONE! Even when I play through what I deem a killer rig of another player, either I end up sounding just like me, or the tone doesn't suit the way I play. I finally caved in to the inevitable...IMHO, Modelers just don't hold up to a real tube amp. Kicked all the modeling crap to the curb, 3 channel tube amp now. It simplified things dramatically. I've got 3 channels setup just the way I want, and I work from there. For effects, just a GSP1101 in 4CM used only for effects, no modeling at all. If I edit a patch, it is strictly to change an effect parameter, which is simple. I've set up many effects variations. I rarely tweak anymore, and believe me, I am the worlds biggest tweaker when it comes to electronics. I smile every time I step in front of my rig! It's a joy to just play. Yes, it can be a bitch to move, but I'd rather invest the time moving it knowing it sounds just the way it should, than spend all that time tweaking and never feeling it sounds just right. I always thought I was chasing tone, when I've always had my tone. I found out getting my rig to sound quiet even at paint peeling volumes....that is the really the thing I've been chasing for 30 years! My rig is finally whisper quiet at 11. My reason all along for trying all those modelers was to get a high gain setup quiet. It did that, but at the expense of my ideal tone.

IMO, the AxeFx is amazing at getting a ridiculous cleans and has great effects, but I play a lot of high gain, and it just doesn't move the air and breathe the same way a tube amp does. If I owned one, it would just go in the loop for effects, and that would be overkill as I only slightly alter my tone with effects.

If you've already got the 5153, revisit the AxeFx after a while. If it's not for you anymore, you'll probably know immediately. You could use it just for effects. But, if it isn't fun anymore, ya gotta part with it.
        My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

*sigh*

Why do we need to seek validation for making decisions that have no basis in anything other than subjective pontification? If you like it, play it; if you don't, there are more choices out there than ever before.

I dumped my AE2 for my Kemper. I don't miss it...but I did profile the hell out of it before I dumped it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            Sell it. Trade it. Here is my take. You can spend your life tweaking that thing to make it sound like my Mesa Rectifier half stack and after countless hours of updates and tweaking and retweaking both live and at home volume levels and then researching a FRFR system to power it. Once you have it set up so that it sounds GOD LIKE... come over to my house and set it up to my bone stock Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier half stack that I spent 5 minutes tweaking and see what sounds better.
            You have an unfair advantage though, John. You make everything sound great
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              You have an unfair advantage though, John. You make everything sound great

So true... I actually feel bad for other guitarists.

Comment

Thats the thing about you John that you keep so hidden deep down inside. So compassionate, and concerned for others feelings.
                "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

You really can make it as simple or complicated as you want whether a modler or tube amps. I personally would juts use the thing as a preamp ans use a power amp and out to a 4x12 or 2,3,4,5

I like the simplicity of guitar---> amp selector switch---> 4 amps heads---> (4) 4x12's. I can us any amp or all at the same time or any mix and match.
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

I say before you get rid of it take it back to basics. I don't have an AXE FX myself but when I started to get bogged down with my preamp this is what I did.

Pick 3 channels. Make one a clean, one a rhythm, one a lead. All completely dry, no fx, no modeling. Treat it like it's just a regular tube amp. Once you have those 3 down where you like them then start thinking, what pedals would you buy if you where just running into a 3 ch tube amp? Go from there and build the channels you want starting with just the 3 bare bones channels.

For me, following this process made it easier for me to get what I wanted without getting bogged down in a million options, end up chasing my tail, getting frustrated as hell, and never being completely happy with what I got.
                    Last edited by AdRock; 05-23-2014, 05:26 PM.
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

The fact that no local retailer can stock this unit is ridiculous. If I'm gonna spend £2.5k+, I wanna make sure its worth it.
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        The fact that no local retailer can stock this unit is ridiculous. If I'm gonna spend £2.5k+, I wanna make sure its worth it.
                        They have a money-back guarantee.

Comment

So I thought I would update everyone on what I have been up to in the past few weeks. So I sold/traded the Axe Fx on Kijiji. Although I was really just looking for a cash deal I got offered a Suhr Badger 30 Combo as trade along with a pile of cash. Let me tell you I could not be happier. The Badger is an awesome amp. So much tone, so simple!!! Real easy to dial in and great range.

The power scaling is excellent and the amp, although only 30 watts sounds huge at any volume. I have tried other attenuators and must say, Suhr's is the best I have tried so far. The amp loves pedals as well, so although it is only one channel, with a boost or good overdrive, it is very much like a two channel amp. It also has a very good loop, so delays, reverbs and modulation effects all sound great as well. The badger is just a great all around amp with Fenderish chimmy cleans to Rock'n Roll Crunch to Hard Rock (can be very hard depending in the pedal in front). To me, the amp also does a pretty good plexi at reasonable volumes as well. Gain set low, Volume wide open with the power scaling dialed in for volume. I have begun to realize that to get the "plexi percussion" you need to be moving some air so I hooked it up to my 1960B cab. Tonal Nirvana. To me, this percussion is part of the plexi tone and although the speaker in the Combo is very good, it is not a 4 x 12. Interesting, I thought the badger would like my EVH 4 x 12 Cab (with Ed's version of Greenbacks) but to me the Marshall with v30's sounded better with the badger.

Anyway, the AxeFx is gone... I am glad I sold it when I did as the Fractal guys have given a peak at a new product coming.

I believe it will be an effects unit without the amp modeling. It is designed specifically for the 4 cable method. Depending on the price, this could be very cool as well.
                          Last edited by Radiohead; 06-08-2014, 05:39 PM.

Comment

My opinion is the ability to infinitely tweak is for the birds, for most guitarists. And digital will never equal, let alone surpass, analog. Forget what the advertising says. We are organic beings in an analog world. I will give credit to the modeling market but only for making very good sounding amps available to kids. But to think this is comparable to real amps? Please....smfh.

Trust your ears. You know what sounds great just plugging in, immediately, and what inspires. Programming and patches does not inspire me. There is psychoacoustics to blame for the demise of digital modeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
                              So I thought I would update everyone on what I have been up to in the past few weeks. So I sold/traded the Axe Fx on Kijiji. Although I was really just looking for a cash deal I got offered a Suhr Badger 30 Combo as trade along with a pile of cash. Let me tell you I could not be happier. The Badger is an awesome amp. So much tone, so simple!!! Real easy to dial in and great range.
                              Congrats. It looks and sounds like you did the right thing.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm in a similar boat; I've grown tired of the Vetta rig. So last week I bought a used Marshall 1960A cab, and finally had the opportunity to try out a JVM. I'm definitely getting one of those. As for the Vetta? I might sell one of the 4x12's and keep the other one, and hang onto the Vetta for now.

I'm happy for you that the Axe-FX stuff has decent resale because Line 6 stuff doesn't, and that's the only reason I might keep it.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Good for you, if it doesn't work for you dump it. I actually find myself playing through my mark IV a lot more these days than
                                my Axe -Atomic CLR(I use it for the effects all the time in the loop of the mesa) but when recording I find the Axe is an Invaluable tool. I can't crank my mark IV if the girls are home
                                so when I want to lay down an idea or record a cover the Axe Fx really shines. I have zero issues with this unit while recording, sounds as real to me as any tube amp.
                                Playing live or "in the room" has alway been a different issue with me and this thing. A lot of the models sound real good through the power amp of the mark IV, the CLR
                                is the cream of the crop of the FRFR monitors but at the end of the day....to me it's still a Monitor, it's just not the same as playing through a tube power amp-real guitar cab.
                                the sound is there, the fell.......................is almost there.
                                Last edited by kmanick; 06-24-2014, 07:43 AM.
                                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                                X