Good Friday indeed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
    Really? That surprises me because I would think that an overdrive could add a tiny, subtle amount of "fizz" to the sound. Not enough to hurt the clarity, but to add some warmth.

I think of an EQ as tightening up the feel.
    When using a TS with a high gain amp what you are doing is shaping the tone a bit before it hits the amp plus adding a little heat to the input. Typically you would run the gain low below 9 o'clock and the volume high, around 3 o'clock. Use the tone to remove a bit of the bass, usually between 12:00-2:00. This will boost the mids and also remove some lows at the amp's input stage, which helps to tighten things up. When dialed in right it gives it a great 'metal' sheen.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      When using a TS with a high gain amp what you are doing is shaping the tone a bit before it hits the amp plus adding a little heat to the input. Typically you would run the gain low below 9 o'clock and the volume high, around 3 o'clock. Use the tone to remove a bit of the bass, usually between 12:00-2:00. This will boost the mids and also remove some lows at the amp's input stage, which helps to tighten things up. When dialed in right it gives it a great 'metal' sheen.
      I've never been a fan of the Tube Screamer specifically. What I was thinking is to leave the gain low on the amp, then have it higher on whatever I'm hitting the front end with, like maybe an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff. I could find the "sweet spot" of gain between the two. That should soften up the tone a bit, shouldn't it?
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

So if an overdrive doesn't soften up a stiff amp, then what does?
        LOTS of effects!

Comment

A fuzz pedal would loosen things up
          Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
            A fuzz pedal would loosen things up
            That's what I mean. Almost any distortion box is capable of producing "fuzz" if the distortion knob is set high enough.

Comment

I usedbthe Metal Muff on my old vox amp and it sounded huge
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

That's what I mean. Almost any distortion box is capable of producing "fuzz" if the distortion knob is set high enough.
                its still not the the same, and has less to do with the gain and more to do with the EQ structure.

For example, Hendrix's tone is super fuzzy, but not that distorted
                Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                  its still not the the same, and has less to do with the gain and more to do with the EQ structure.

For example, Hendrix's tone is super fuzzy, but not that distorted
                  Makes sense. It still seems to me that if the sound is super clear and strict, I could warm it up somewhat by hitting the front end with a light overdrive/distortion.

As a side note, I watched videos of the Marshall JVM's for a few days until I got turned on to the Splawn. Since watching the Splawn videos, the JVM now seems really fizzy and vague sounding. But again, I really want to try a JVM and a Quick Rod and see for myself. Videos only tell you so much.

Comment

This amp certainly doesn't need the od but it doesn't hurt either... there's a sweet spot for sure. This amp has been a blast to play so far... it's a keeper.
                    Hear the universe scream
                    Bleeding from black holes
                    Whom horns careless
                    And whom God mourns

Comment

Makes sense. It still seems to me that if the sound is super clear and strict, I could warm it up somewhat by hitting the front end with a light overdrive/distortion.

As a side note, I watched videos of the Marshall JVM's for a few days until I got turned on to the Splawn. Since watching the Splawn videos, the JVM now seems really fizzy and vague sounding. But again, I really want to try a JVM and a Quick Rod and see for myself. Videos only tell you so much.
                      The JVM has gobs of preamp gain. It can be really easy to overdo it and get fizz (Recto owners are familiar with this pain). A JVM can be tight and defined with tinkering.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by paulbag View Post
                        This amp certainly doesn't need the od but it doesn't hurt either... there's a sweet spot for sure. This amp has been a blast to play so far... it's a keeper.
                        Glad to hear. One day I will pick up a Splawn... I can tell
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                        X