Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volume pedal in the effects loop? Any of you do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, what volume pedal do you guys recommend for doing this? I've never owned one.

I have an old DOD Bi-FET Preamp that I used to use occasionally for a solo boost. *IF* it can cut volume down instead of starting at a neutral point, I wonder if I could us it for this purpose.....
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      By the way, what volume pedal do you guys recommend for doing this? I've never owned one.

I have an old DOD Bi-FET Preamp that I used to use occasionally for a solo boost. *IF* it can cut volume down instead of starting at a neutral point, I wonder if I could us it for this purpose.....
      There are several good ones. Ernie Ball makes a large platform one for use in the loop as a volume pedal. Morley makes the Lil Alligator which is also designed to be used in the loop. Out of the 2... I liked the way the Ernie Ball worked better but I liked the size of the Morley. Between the 2 I would choose the Morley. Steve Vai uses it so its certainly good enough for us mortals.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        There are several good ones. Ernie Ball makes a large platform one for use in the loop as a volume pedal. Morley makes the Lil Alligator which is also designed to be used in the loop. Out of the 2... I liked the way the Ernie Ball worked better but I liked the size of the Morley. Between the 2 I would choose the Morley. Steve Vai uses it so its certainly good enough for us mortals.
        Thanks. I'll check those out.

Comment

You know this thread seemed really familiar to me. Like we had talked about this before. Then I found this in the way back machine.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/655...-an-attenuator

You might want to read. Fairly short, but exactly what you're asking about, and from an expert.
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
            You know this thread seemed really familiar to me. Like we had talked about this before. Then I found this in the way back machine.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/655...-an-attenuator

You might want to read. Fairly short, but exactly what you're asking about, and from an expert.
            Ah, there ya go. I forgot I posted that 11 years ago!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              The tone, saturation or gain doesn't change at all. Just the volume. Just go get it.
              I'd disagree with that, but just in my experience with my Quick Rod. That said, tone is subjective. I always felt it thinned things out a lot though.

Comment

If speaker and cabinet motion/interaction is a considerable part of your tone, then yes, tone will suffer. You'll still get the same drive saturation (or you may perceive an increase in saturation) by reducing the amount of signal going into the speakers, whether by attenuator or pedal-in-the-loop, but that's about it. In that case, you'll get the same (or better) drive saturation using a headphone setup like a POD or a rack preamp.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Splawns are not for bedrooms. I owned 2 and couldnt get them to sound great until they were LOUD. If you want a bedroom tube amp go 5153 or Engl .

Comment

I have done the Volume in the loop thing. I had a Carvin Legacy which needed to really get pushed to sound good. I used to use the Boss FV500L in the loop and an Hot Plate attenuator. The volume pedal reduced the amount of required attenuation which was greatly improved the tone IMO.

Comment

What I meant when I said low volume regarding the Quickrod was in a live band situation. He was mic'd and he didn't have to have the 1/2 stack turned up past 3. Believe me.. 3 is ENTIRELY too loud for home use. 2 is entirely too loud. 1 is loud. Its not a bedroom amp. No 100w high gain tube amp is suitable for bedroom use unless you have live bands in your bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        I'd disagree with that, but just in my experience with my Quick Rod. That said, tone is subjective. I always felt it thinned things out a lot though.
                        Of course it thins the tone out when the volume level isn't high enough to push the speakers around. I agree with you there. If you want a really good tone at super low volumes that actually give you a "full pushed tone" you should either be looking at modeling amps or SS amps. There are many SS amps that thump pretty good at very low volumes. I always felt that's where modeling amps really shine.

Comment

For years my 100-watt JCM800 2210 did just fine at home with a Metal Zone and GE-7 EQ in front of it. I normally used this on the clean channel and it sounded great at very peaceful volumes.

However...... regardless of what everyone and their dry cleaner told me, i.e. "MAN, YOU GOTTA PUT THAT SUCKER ON THE OVERDRIVE CHANNEL AND DIME IT AND IT'LL SOUND KILLER!!!!," it didn't. It sounded harsh, flubby, just nasty all the way around. But with the pedals, it sounded a lot more organic than anything I've ever been able to get out of the Vetta.

So if I get a Splawn (mainly interested in the Quick Rod or possibly the Competition), I can use this same pedal setup at low volume but have the option of that killer Splawn tone on the occasions that I get to crank it on up.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan?
                          Last edited by PowerTube; 04-21-2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                            So if I get a Splawn (mainly interested in the Quick Rod or possibly the Competition), I can use this same pedal setup at low volume but have the option of that killer Splawn tone on the occasions that I get to crank it on up.

Does anyone see a problem with this plan?
                            I don't see a problem with getting a Splawn Quick Rod, go for it it's still a Marshall flavored amp. Scott Splawn was modding Marshalls before releasing his own souped up version of one. They sound good!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                            X