Thinking about a Jet City 20watt head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a Jet City 20watt head

I've been playing in a surf punk w/shred tendencies kind of band for a while (lousysavages.bandcamp.com shameless plug) and I bought a 2x12 for gigging with them. Historically, all I've owned was a 4x12 with V30s and 100watt heads. With this band, that would be....stupid. So I've been lugging my 2x12 and my 100watt Laney to gigs, and the head weighs more than the friggin' 2x12, not to mention I've never been able to turn it up past 3/10 at any gig.

So I've been actively looking at getting rid of my 4x12. It's an old 1980's Carvin with real British V30s. No one locally has ever expressed interest in buying it for a reasonable amount (I've had it listed on Clist for $350) but finally someone offered to trade their Jet City 20watt head and an Ibanez Artcore guitar. I'm assuming the Artcore is a real cheap guitar, but whatever. I'll sell it for $150 or something.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jet City heads? I hear...mostly decent things about em. I really just need a portable head to drive my 2x12, that can push some classic rock/punk rock tones and overdrive nicely with my Cmat Mods overdrive pedal and Phase 90. (I'm using a Charvel Wild Card #6 and a Charvel San Dimas Style 2)

I think I'm just gonna go for it with this trade, I havent used the 4x12 in ages so I'm looking at is as a win/win for me. I get new gear, some Ibanez to flip and I get to move a huge 4x12 out of my apartment.

If I remember, there is no loop on the 20watt. So - I'm out. I had the 100 Watt for a while. It was ... OK. No Soldano. The tone was a bit sterile. Was really hard to sell afterwards. Had very little resale value. I would definitely get to a music store that carries them and try one out before you trade.

Comment

My tech has one. Stock tubes are junk, he also modded it with more gain. It sounds... ok. for $200 it would be worth it. Personally id look for a used carvin v3m or something. Radiohead is right. Go try one before you do the trade.
      Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

A friend of mine has a Jet City 2X12 combo and I hate it. It sounds like shit clean and it sounds like shit dirty. Calling the tone "sterile" is a nice way to put it because my friends amp has not one redeeming quality that I can think of. I have a 100$ 15 watt solid state Fender frontman that sounds better than his Jet City. The tone on Jet City amps is lifeless but that's just my opinion.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
        X