Swapping cab speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping cab speakers?

Has anyone every used a pair of G12T 75's out of a Marshall cab in a Carvin 212 cab? I have a Legacy 212 and am just not digging the V30's. I prefer the G12's in the 1960 lead cab. So I was thinking about swapping in the G12's and just selling the V30's. Anybody heard this configuration before? I'd hate to do this and find out that the G12's don't like the the smaller cab volume.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

I personally prefer V30s over G12T-75s, but why not give it a try? You have nothing to lose outside of the time it would take to swap two speakers from the Marshall cab into the Legacy cab. You might even want to try one of each.

Comment

I once put some G12T-75's in an old Marshall Valvestate cab called an 8412. It's the matching cab for the old Valvestate head that was called the 8100. It worked fine but it did require me to use liquid nails to close the cab up afterwards because of the extra bass response that was being kicked out by the new speakers. EDIT; The cab was farting like crazy out of the seems. You should have heard it!
      Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Have a set of Warehouse speakers green berets in my Blackstar 2X12 and it sounds pretty awesome.
        They are a clone of the Celestion green backs.
        I've had old green backs and these sound damn near the same to me
        Attached Files
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          I personally prefer V30s over G12T-75s, but why not give it a try? You have nothing to lose outside of the time it would take to swap two speakers from the Marshall cab into the Legacy cab. You might even want to try one of each.
          Well, what I do have to lose is the money for the G12's. I don't have my Marshall 412 anymore so I would have to buy them to try it out. Wanna buy the V30's from me so I can just make the leap? LOL.
          My Toys:
          '94 Dinky HX in Black
          '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
            Well, what I do have to lose is the money for the G12's. I don't have my Marshall 412 anymore so I would have to buy them to try it out. Wanna buy the V30's from me so I can just make the leap? LOL.
            Ah, didn't realize you no longer had the Marshall cab.

Comment

What amp are you using with it? I seem to prefer G12T75's w/Marshall's. I like V30's with the Bogner 101B but not so much with a 2203
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

I've got a Carvin VE212 cabinet that at the time was part of the MTS series, just before the X100B head made its comeback in the late 90s. The Carvin speakers have a Union Jack on them, but even the spec sheet doesn't explicitly state what model they are, or what they're supposed to be (I'm assuming some sort of Marshall-used clone?)

They don't sound bad with my JCM800, but they have this peculiar property of remaining remarkably clean even at high volumes. They're articulate, and don't seem to overload and fart unless you really crank the bass in the EQ. Even then, it's not a "fraaaap" like you're blowing the cone, but more like a "whmmmmp" like you're shitting an elephant.

It's a half-back style cabinet - open, yet not fully, and rated for 300w.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

G12T 75s are nice, but a little scooped in the mids. Pair one up with a V30 and they compliment each other very nicely.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    G12T 75s are nice, but a little scooped in the mids. Pair one up with a V30 and they compliment each other very nicely.
                    I hear the mids scooped in the V30's way more than the G12T's. I was running a Rocktron Chameleon through a Velocity 300 into my old 1960 cab. I sold it and ended up buying the Legacy 212. When run through the V30's it sounded like I had taken a bunch of the mids out making it harder to stand out in the mix. I had to go into all my patches and eq the mids up quite a bit. It still doesn't sound the way i would like it to with the V30's.
                    My Toys:
                    '94 Dinky HX in Black
                    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                      I hear the mids scooped in the V30's way more than the G12T's. I was running a Rocktron Chameleon through a Velocity 300 into my old 1960 cab. I sold it and ended up buying the Legacy 212. When run through the V30's it sounded like I had taken a bunch of the mids out making it harder to stand out in the mix. I had to go into all my patches and eq the mids up quite a bit. It still doesn't sound the way i would like it to with the V30's.
                      Thats weird, because V-30s are voiced to be very high mid, while the 75s are meant to fill in the highs and lows (be scooped) because of that Marshall midrange honk
                      Out Of Ideas

Comment

That is weird. V30s have a lot more mids. Maybe try a V30 from a Mesa/Boogie amp... they're actually voiced slightly different.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

V30s should slice through a mix like a chainsaw. Something is not right.

Comment

Standard Celestion V30s are very boxy sounding. The ones in Mesa cabs have been tweaked to sound more musical for guitars.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Personally I prefer Eminence speakers over Celestion, they make many models comparable to Celestion, some for half the price. You might want to check out their site.
                              I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X