New Amp - Blackstar HT Metal 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp - Blackstar HT Metal 5

I bought a Blackstar HT Metal 5 as a birthday present for myself a couple of weeks ago.
    I tried out a Blackstar Studio 20, an HT-5R, and an HT Metal 1, as the local store didn't have the HT Metal 5 in stock.
    The Studio 20 was too loud for my intended use (noodling at home), and I didn't feel that the overdrive channel on the HT-5R had enough gain. I plugged into the HT Metal 1, switched to the overdrive channel, and found that the I got the same amount of drive with the gain at 11 o' clock on the HT Metal 1 as I did with the gain maxed out on the HT-5R. However, the HT Metal 1 didn't have an effects loop or a footswitch, so I went home and ordered the HT Metal 5 online. It was delivered a couple of days later.

First impressions:

1) This amp is LOUD for being just 5 watts! My kids started complaining before my wife did

2) The "clean" channel starts breaking up with the volume knob at around 9 o'clock, and gets to the AC/DC "Highway to Hell" sound when maxed out... "crystal cleans (what the Blackstar webpage says)" my ass!!!

3) The distortion channel is very good. The overall "amount" of drive is about the same from about 12 o'clock on the gain knob and up, but the quality of the sound becomes more finely saturated, if you know what I mean.

With regard to 1) above, I tried playing through headphones (Audio Technica Pro 5) but of course the sound quality suffered. So I will just have to noodle while the kids are in school, at the in laws', or whatever.

With regard to 2), I first played my SL-1 through it, with a HotRails in the neck, the stock pickup in the middle, and a Duncan Custom in the bridge. The clean channel did sound a LOT better and had more headroom when I played my daughter's Stratocaster (with stock single coils) through the amp.

Although it depends on how tolerant your family/housemates/neighbors are with respect to the beautiful sounds of intense guitar playing, I would not recommend this amp for bedroom use if you want to crank it. If you have a Man Cave, that may be a different story. At the same time, it's probably not loud enough to be heard over a drummer, so I don't think that I can recommend it as a rehearsal amp either, unless you plug the "Emulated Speaker" output into a PA.

Also, please keep in mind that I am NOT a tone snob, and haven't owned a tube amp since the Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber that I bought back in 1990 then gave to my brother in law in 2000.

Here's a pic, just in case anyone wants to see what a little combo amp looks like:

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Nice review.

What type of tube do they put in those?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
      Nice review.

What type of tube do they put in those?
      The owner's manual says one ECC83 and one12BH7 tube. I'm not sure which is the pre and which is the power tube though. One cool thing is that the headphone/emulated speaker output works with the Power switch ON and the Standby switch OFF. So I guess that I am not putting a burden on the "power tube" as long as I play through the headphones...
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Thanks for the review. I have been looking for a good bedroom amp and now I know I can scratch this one off the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Kempo Bulldog View Post
          Thanks for the review. I have been looking for a good bedroom amp and now I know I can scratch this one off the list.
          The HT Metal 1 (the 1 watt version) may be better suited as a bedroom amp. For some reason I felt I couldn't live without the footswitch and the effects loop, and went for the 5 watt. Like I wrote in the original post, the distortion channel sounds great. It may sound even better if the power tube was driven as well as the preamp tube, but then it would be too loud (for my kids to bear).

Comment

I had looked at the HT-5r at one point but the distortion was lacking. I hadn't heard of the HT metal amps till I read this. After checking some of the demos on you tube I think I will try to find HT-1 metal and take a closer look. It's nice to have the effects loop and foot and switch but I can live without them. Who knows, maybe they'll have an upgraded version at NAMM this year.

Comment

Working...
            X