Jcm 2000 tsl....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcm 2000 tsl....

I was wondering if any of you guys know anything about this Marshall amp. I bought it from a friend dirt cheap last year and it doesn't seem to have the huge thick distorted sound it had when I got it. I know the pre-amp tubes may be going bad but my question is does anyone know if this model is self biasing or if it has to be biased manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

http://www.marshallheads.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5 Needs to be biased but looks real easy. I've never done it, as my MTS amps are the easiest biasing amps in the world.. But there's the process..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
      http://www.marshallheads.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5 Needs to be biased but looks real easy. I've never done it, as my MTS amps are the easiest biasing amps in the world.. But there's the process..
      Thanks bro!! Doesn't look very difficult at all.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Preamp tubes don't need to be manually biased, only the power tubes. And pre-amp tubes last way longer than power tubes because they don't work as hard.

I'm curious as to what the problem is with your TSL100. You say it used to sound good but doesn't any more? Did you change speakers? Check to male sure the speaker load matches the amp setting in ohms.

I love my DSL100 but I've often heard people say DSL's sound better than TSL's. But I really would like to have separate EQ's for each channel like the TSL has.

Comment

My impedance is good bro and with the way I drive amps I've always burned out pre-amp tubes before power tubes. It still sounds good it just seems to not have that really thick distorted sound it used to when I got it. I know the power tubes are good because when they go bad the clean channel of the amp starts to break up. The clean channel is still crystal clear this is why I am thinking it's the pre-amp tubes. If pre amp tubes don't need biasing I can just pop some new JJ ECC83's in there and see if that does the trick.

Comment

the tubes may not be bad. Your bias might have drifted. If one or more of the PTs are out of bias, your amp will sound less than optimal
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              the tubes may not be bad. Your bias might have drifted. If one or more of the PTs are out of bias, your amp will sound less than optimal
              I guess I am just going to have to pay my tech. the $35.00 dollar bench charge before I buy any parts. If the bias drifted he can fix it for the bench charge and it'll be all good afterward. Thank you bro! I totally forgot that this may be a factor.

Comment

Buy one 12ax7. Swap it in to each pre tube position to see if it helps. Or buy a set. I keep a spare full set of three 12ax7's kicking around for my amp. They are pretty cheap relatively speaking.

If you have another tube amp kicking around that you know is good, borrow a 12ax7 from it to try.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  Buy one 12ax7. Swap it in to each pre tube position to see if it helps. Or buy a set. I keep a spare full set of three 12ax7's kicking around for my amp. They are pretty cheap relatively speaking.

If you have another tube amp kicking around that you know is good, borrow a 12ax7 from it to try.
                  I have like 6 other heads here why the hell didn't I think of that!:think:

Comment

Here I am once again proving the fact that having a Masters Degree doesn't mean you're smart.

Comment

Lefty,
                      Here is a link to bias the Marshall TSLs. I used this on my TSL60 - very easy. The TSL60 has a nice set-up for easy biasing. I don't know if the TSL100 has the same features. Check out the video. They used to have a number to call for extra help. It has been around three years, but anyway.....

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-M...Bias-Video.htm

Comment

My job is troubleshooting. My brain goes for the cheapest, quickest fix every time. Then you escalate the effort and expense from there to resolve the problem if the easy stuff doesn't work.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                          Lefty,
                          Here is a link to bias the Marshall TSLs. I used this on my TSL60 - very easy. The TSL60 has a nice set-up for easy biasing. I don't know if the TSL100 has the same features. Check out the video. They used to have a number to call for extra help. It has been around three years, but anyway.....

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-M...Bias-Video.htm
                          Thanks bro! And may I say you build some beautiful guitars man!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                            My job is troubleshooting. My brain goes for the cheapest, quickest fix every time. Then you escalate the effort and expense from there to resolve the problem if the easy stuff doesn't work.
                            Thanks for the input bro. I am going to pull a couple tubes that I know are good from another amp and give your idea a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                              Here I am once again proving the fact that having a Masters Degree doesn't mean you're smart.
                              Unless your Masters is in "How To Miss The Obvious"

LOL, sorry man, had to do it.
                              My Toys:
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                              '94 Dinky HX in Black
                              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                              X