Peavey 3120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey 3120

Found an older model of the 3120 and wondered any one here owned an older one?
    The newer have that ugly face on them and this one has a normal face plate like any older Peavey amp.
    120 watts EL34 based.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

What used to be the XXX? I liked the dirt channel on it. The clean channel was useable. I'm wanting to try the XXX II. Good luck stray.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

3120 is the XXX renamed. I had the XXX, replaced the 6L6's with EL34's so pretty much the same thing and it sounded awesome, especially if you use warmer/lower gain Russian 12ax7's in V1 and V2. The Chinese tubes were just way too much. These have tons of gain but with the right pre's they're easy to tame. I used Electro Harmonix pre's in mine. I highly recommend it, only reason I sold mine was because I got a JVM210 but I'd take it back in a second.

Comment

I agree Plon, the EH 12AX7`s are a very rounded pre-amp tube. Chinese are some serious highs and well, JJ`s are mudd. I never played thru a XXX with EL34`s but always wanted to. It didn`t have enough crunch with the 6L6`s that I played thru and not British sounding enough for me.

Comment

It's funny that I never liked the XXX, but really liked the 3120. Good amp for guys liking modded Marshall tones.

Comment

Never liked the XXX so I think I'll pass on this one.
            Thanks for your input guys.

Comment

Try playing it. Seriously.

Comment

I agree and try it with EL34`s if they take them as well. 2 totally different tones between EL34`s and 6L6`s. Of pre-amp tubes make a good bit of difference as well. I hated the XXX with 6L6`s. I have heard the 3120 with EL34`s and it sounded pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer View Post
                  I agree and try it with EL34`s if they take them as well. 2 totally different tones between EL34`s and 6L6`s. Of pre-amp tubes make a good bit of difference as well. I hated the XXX with 6L6`s. I have heard the 3120 with EL34`s and it sounded pretty good.
                  The 3120 ships with EL-34's, (Peavey wised up) so if it's stock it should have them. Slayer is right, totally different tone with the 34's. My XXX came with the 6L6's and my opinion was the same, didn't care for it at all. With the 34's though, it's a totally hot rodded Marshall tone. Don't count it out based on the 6L6 XXX tone.

Comment

I'll take a closer look at it again.
                    Odd that it has a std type cab and not the newer style with the cheezy dropped down logo.
                    I have googled images and not seen one like this.

Comment

Working...
                    X