NAD - sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - sort of

I've been working on this for a while. I bought an amp a guy built which is a slo 100 clone to get my feet wet with amp building and tweaking a while ago. I fixed a couple minor issues with it and then proceeded to play around with some mods until I had it sounding just right to me. Then I tore the whole thing apart and basically rebuilt it I made a new pre and power board for it as well as redoing a lot of the wiring and other various off board pieces. I basically kept the trannies and chassis mounted parts such as pots, well most of the pots, switches, jack, tube sockets, etc but rewired a ton of it including the heater wiring. It's all based on the slo clone project and I finally have it to where I'm really happy with it. I'll have to get some clips soon but here is a bad before picture and then the after picture. It looks like there is a lot more wire but I moved all the connections that were on the bottom of the board to the top to make working on it easier except the filter cap connections which couldn't really be moved. I actually ended up with less wire length with some of the changes and a lower noise floor.

Before:
    404431821.jpg

After:
    IMG_0022.jpg

Headshell:
    IMG_1673.jpg

Looks good, let's hear what it sounds like
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

You certainly got MY attention.
      Sometimes I think I'm the only builder that hangs around here!

Good work.

Comment

Here are some sound clips - recorded very quickly and without coffee so ignore the sloppiness It's straight into the amp with nothing in the loop and no processing done. The speaker is an evm12l with a beyer m201 mic which is sm57ish and the 80hz hpf on the mic pre turned on. The OD gain is about 7, the crunch gain about 6 and the clean gain around 4. Bass is 5, mid is 7, treble is 5, presence is 4, depth is 0 and the masters are around 2. The guitar is a hamer studio with duncan 59s. I know, I know, but my jackson isn't here right now . . .

https://soundcloud.com/mjtripper/sets/slo-clone-demo
        Last edited by mjtripper; 04-26-2013, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
          You certainly got MY attention.
          Sometimes I think I'm the only builder that hangs around here!

Good work.
          No, you are one of the few with free time on your hands.

Nice work mjtripper. Looks good. Wish I had the time. I have a huge stash of parts but no time any more to put it together.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            No, you are one of the few with free time on your hands.

Nice work mjtripper. Looks good. Wish I had the time. I have a huge stash of parts but no time any more to put it together.
            So build it!
            I know you want to....

Comment

It's already car season. I must install a supercharger. Must have.

Comment

Thanks all, I had fun working on it and learned a lot. Now I need to build another one Come on DonP - you have to get to building yours!!

Comment

sounds beefy, mj. Sounds good in all 3 modes too.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

I have a SLO clone build started too. I started it like 4 years ago. The boards are almost done, headshell is done, and that's about as far as I've gotten. I need to get some more parts (pots, jacks, switches, etc.). Maybe I'll get back at it this year LOL.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Sounds good great job on it.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X