Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rig Day!! (Spoiler Alert - AxeFx content - haters, move along...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rig Day!! (Spoiler Alert - AxeFx content - haters, move along...)

The more demos I watched, and the more feedback I heard, the more I realized that I wasn't really using my AxeFx 2 to it's full capability.

I made the leap today...I sold my Line 6 DT25 head, Splawn 2x12 cab, Line 6 M13, Rocktron Velocity power amp, and picked up two Alto Truesonic TS112a active monitors, and a Voodoo Labs GC Pro. I'm all 21st century now!!

Initial thoughts...HOLY SHIT! HUUUUUGE!!! The old weakness - the cab IR's - is no longer. They are amazing! It sounds soooo much better than my former rig(s). The spread of the sound is flat out massive.

I didn't go all-out on the monitors, as I'm not using them in a band setting, and don't have to run them super loud. Lots of guys swear by the CLR's and QSC's, but after listening to a number of online demos, I thought these actually sounded more realistic and less colored than the QSC, and I'm not even going to try to comment on the CLR, although a buddy has one, and I really need to check it out. that said, i really don't need to put any more $$$ into my rig.

Anyway, I'm SUPER-stoked! I hope it inspires me to play the shit out of my guitars, and stay the hell off the internet...

Mandatory rig pic:

I am of the opinion that to best utilize modeling systems you really need to be running a FRFR setup. Especially if your modeling system incorporates cabinet/mic simulations.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

i need to downsize....

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        I am of the opinion that to best utilize modeling systems you really need to be running a FRFR setup. Especially if your modeling system incorporates cabinet/mic simulations.
        I am coming over to that side as well. The cab IR's have come such a long way as well...

Originally posted by pickford1625 View Post
        i need to downsize....
        It's not as small as you might think, but it sounds 10x bigger than it is!!

Comment

Looks good plus it will fit in the trunk of your car!!
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

very nice. i am still a bit of a traditionalist, and after seeing Saigon Kick where jason bieler was using an axe-fx II, i am still not quite ready to go that route...but there is no doubt that it IS the way of the future. ironic though that you are using a tele!!! the most modern amplification technology paired with the most archaic of guitars!!!!

i jest - the tele is killer. i am slinging one as my main guitar these days too....a joe strummer signature tele:

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
              very nice. i am still a bit of a traditionalist, and after seeing Saigon Kick where jason bieler was using an axe-fx II, i am still not quite ready to go that route...but there is no doubt that it IS the way of the future. ironic though that you are using a tele!!! the most modern amplification technology paired with the most archaic of guitars!!!!

i jest - the tele is killer. i am slinging one as my main guitar these days too....a joe strummer signature tele:
              There's a BIIIIGGG learning curve to doing it this way, and I think the same can be said doing it FOH with monitoring as well. They *CAN* be amazing in the right hands - I know, as I've heard it.

Lol...yeah, Teles aren't super-tech or anything, but they do otherwise rock!! Nice JS Tele!! I'm kinda thinking "Road Worn" at some point, but then again, I could just beat the piss outta the ones I have.

Comment

Nice!
                if you can check out one of the RCF NX 12's as well. Before the CLRs came out they were considered the best FRFR option out there.
                I have one, it's pretty kick ass , especially with the new IR's that have become available. supposedly besides the Dispersion factor (RCF is peretty narrow) there is not all that much difference between these and the CLR. I'm on the list for a CLR so I'll let you know but honestly, it's going to have to serisoulsy blow me away to get me to even think about moving the RCF. the Noarrower dispersion pattern for me is acually a big plus, it doesn't shoot all over the house so i can use it later at night without bothering anyone.
                I'm still very tempted to grab one of the Fryette LXII poer amps when they become available and try this ting thru a real cab again.
                I've had pretty good success doing that already but each power amp i had colored the models too much. with a more neutral tube power amp I think I'd be all set
                If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Congrats dude...yeah there's definitely a lot to learn about the ridiculous amount of tweaking possible with the Axe FX, but that just makes me confident that any tones can be found inside the magic black box
                  Hear the universe scream
                  Bleeding from black holes
                  Whom horns careless
                  And whom God mourns

Comment

Originally posted by paulbag View Post
                    Congrats dude...yeah there's definitely a lot to learn about the ridiculous amount of tweaking possible with the Axe FX, but that just makes me confident that any tones can be found inside the magic black box
                    You could go insane tweaking this thing, but I really try to keep my signal path as simple as I can, and let a lot of the defaults stand as-is. I'm trying to play more and mess less.

Comment

with 10.02 I don't think you need to do a lot of tweaking anymore.
                      the amp controls are now a lot more accurate than on previous firmwares.
                      My patches have really gotten a lot simpler wah-drive-amp-cab-delay-reverb maybe throw a chorus in there a a pitch block for my whammy pedal
                      but that's it. I used to throw in filters PEQs, GEQ, tons of crap.
                      the new IR"S are so much better (I use OH too) that the extra EQ-ing is really no longer needed.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                      X