I'm tired of too much reading, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm tired of too much reading, please help

Hi guys, my brain is fried. I've spent weeks reading and still cant make my mind up.

I want a low power tube amp which takes pedals well for 80's hair metal type tone. I've come to the conclusion that im going to have to use pedals as everything else I've tried at bedroom levels sounds rubbish.

I have a wampler pinnacle among other distortion pedals (suhr riot) which I love the sound of, but just need a combo that it'll sound ok with, when I say ok, I mean one thats not going to sound really tinny and with decent bass that doesn't sound crap whilst damping.

I'm in the UK so am a little limited. Any ideas? everything points to blackstar but I've read that they use sneaky solid state in with their tube technology. Not that I'm a snob or anything, just dont want to pay for something thats advertised as all tube.

Really like the cleans of a blues junior but fear it wont handle the distortion pedals too well?

thanks in advance!

EVH 5150 iii 50 Watt should do the trick. takes pedals but sounds amazing with the guitar just plugged straight in and I think it sounds good at low volumes as well as cranked. You can nail 80's rock and metal with it easily.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
      EVH 5150 iii 50 Watt should do the trick. takes pedals but sounds amazing with the guitar just plugged straight in and I think it sounds good at low volumes as well as cranked. You can nail 80's rock and metal with it easily.

Lovely amp but surely too loud? Plus people see that and expect you to be good at guitar!

Comment

Buy the combo (EVH 5150 III) when they release it...can roll it all the way down to 1 watt if you want! I was going to buy that but ended buying an Axe FX II.
        Hear the universe scream
        Bleeding from black holes
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

Tiny/Dark Terror?

Mine sounds amazing, even at lower volumes.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            Tiny/Dark Terror?

Mine sounds amazing, even at lower volumes.
            I thought aout Orange, do they sound a bit dark / compressed? I was thinking the TH30 combo

Comment

Originally posted by tinribs View Post
              everything points to blackstar but I've read that they use sneaky solid state in with their tube technology. Not that I'm a snob or anything, just dont want to pay for something thats advertised as all tube.

Ok, so you don't like solidstate in amps, but you have no problem pushing them with 100% solid state pedals?

BTW, anything above 5 Watts tubeampilification is probably gonna be too loud, so if you're gonna push it with a pedal anyway
              no need in ignoring the high wattage amps
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Marshall DSL40c? You can get in a head with a 1x12 cab or a 1x12 combo and can be rolled from 40 to 15 watts. The Laney Iommi combo sounds amazing as well as the Iron Heart series. There are a lot of small tube amps out just go play on some and see what you like.
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

Yep nothing wrong in my book with pushing a tube amp with a solid state pedal. You tried pushing a solid state amp with a pedal? Not so good.

I bought a blackstar 20 combo last week, sounded pretty good, but not as good for me as the price tag would have me believe. Have bought a jim root terror, don't like slipnot or that genre but it sounded awesome.

As for big wattage heads, I had a laney VH100r and I couldn't get that quiet enough. Sounded amazing loud, no need for pedals.

The best small amp I tried was a Cornell plexi 7. Shame the YouTube demos are so bad, will be the next amp I buy.

Comment

You are on the right track with the Fender Blues Jr. It takes pedals very well. I believe that Wampler voices his pedals for use into a clean Fender amp.

Comment

I so wanted to buy the blues jr but when I tried it with the pedal, I couldnt get the bass nice and tight

Comment

You can also try Carvin V3M. It has a 15 watt mode and goes to 50 watts so playing out won't be an issue. From what I've been hearing you probably won't need pedals to get what you want.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

well its been a week with the Jim Root terror and i still really like it. Funny, I never thought I'd get on with it. Just goes to show - Never base your purchase on YouTube videos, it nails 80's hair metal and doesn't sound as compressed as the YouTube videos suggest, it's just the way these people had the amps set

Comment

So its been a while with the jim root terror. I really love this amp. Noticed something strange today. with my egnater rebel 20, my boss-dd6 sounded fairly similar up front as it did in the loop, slightly more effective in the loop.

I plugged my delay into the orange amp (in the front) and it was way too much. I had the level control on the pedal as low as it would go without dropping out completely and the delays were just too over powering. I then put it in the loop and it sounds much much better, i have to have the pedal's level around half way up for it to sound the way i want it. I've never experienced this before with an amp / delay - this pretty much makes my delay pedal unuseable up front, which is a shame as I"m lazy and cant be arsed with all that plugging in

Comment

Time-based effects usually sound like ass in front of an amp. The effects loop is the way to go.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X