Compressors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressors...

Compression is an effect I've not much experience with and one of the few effects missing from my board. I'm looking to tighten up my tone and squeeze out a tad bit more sustain. I don't have any place close by where I can go try a bunch of different pedals, so what's everyone's favorite compressor stomp box?

My amp is a Peavey 6505+ being pushed by a Boss SD-1, if that's of any importance.
    Last edited by Whoopu2; 03-31-2013, 09:44 PM.

I don't have any Peavey amps and only occassionaly use a compressor. The one I like is the Retro-Sonic compressor. In fact I like pretty much like all Retro-Sonic pedals. They sound great although they're pricey.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'm still after an EL8 myself, but would welcome the idea of a Distressor in a pedal.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

holy shit!! don't you have enough sustain already?!?!? I use the good old mxr dyna comp, but I mostly use it when I am playing low to medium gain or with a fuzz pedal.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Of all the compressors I've tried, I like the emulated Ross in my 11 Rack. Nice and simple controls for a lunkhead like me. I have a Boss compressor but never really use it.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            holy shit!! don't you have enough sustain already?!?!? I use the good old mxr dyna comp, but I mostly use it when I am playing low to medium gain or with a fuzz pedal.
            I have about 95% of the sustain I desire.

I was actually looking into the Dyna Comp, but I heard it's pretty noisy.

Thanks for the replies guys.
            Last edited by Whoopu2; 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM.

Comment

the dyna comp is noisy when cranked. luckily, it squishes the sound too much when cranked. if you want a nice, easy to use little compressor try an alesis nano-compressor. it is a 1/3 rack unit that sounds really good and may actually be better with your rig instead of a pedal. i have used them in front of the amp and in the loop. it works equally well in either place. it is more like a studio compressor, but they are great!!
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Compressor on an already overdriven metal tone = NOISE NOISE NOISE and a very nice loss of crisp highs. Its also a bitch to balance between clean and distorted levels.
                Compressors are for the studio or for bass. NOT for guitar unless you are playing clean.
                There... I said it.

Comment

Never really liked a compressor as a pedal to be honest very very noisy.
                  If you record in a studio have the mixing guy add it.If you play live have the sound guy add it.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    Compressor on an already overdriven metal tone = NOISE NOISE NOISE and a very nice loss of crisp highs. Its also a bitch to balance between clean and distorted levels.
                    Compressors are for the studio or for bass. NOT for guitar unless you are playing clean.
                    There... I said it.
                    Totally agree, love it on clean settings, hate it on gainier settings

Have a Carl Martin I like but my old Boss CS-2 from the 80s rules. It was one of David Gilmour's favorites
                    Last edited by Larz; 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM.
                    Jackson KV2
                    Jackson KE1T
                    Jackson KE1F
                    Jackson SL1

Comment

I only liked a compressor on my bass rig... I've tried several different, but always ended up with a DBX product. Sorry, I know that's of no real help to you...
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                      X