Tone advice.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone advice.....

Ok, so I'm involved in the beginnings of a cover project that will only cover Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. My current rig which I am absolutely in love with is My Engl Fireball and Marshall 1960AV sounds amazing with my current hard rock/metal cover project. I was planning on using this rig for the new project, but I'm wondering if there isn't something that can cover a wider range of tones. The Engl's gain is fine for AIC and Nirvana, but for some Sound Garden and Pearl Jam, I am using the clean channel with a tube screamer. It's passable, but I can't help but think that there isn't a multiple channel head that would fit the bill better. I'd like to stay in a reasonable price range say about $1000, but preferably cheaper. I was thinking a EVH III mini or a Carvin V3 or V3m or maybe even a used JVM if I can find one cheap enough. Thoughts? Maybe it as simple as replacing the tube screamer? I'm open to any and all ideas.
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

how about just using a few different dirt boxes with your engl? that's what i am doing these days with my rivera. i got a big muff, a fuzz face, an MXR custom bad-ass OD and an MXR distortion +. between those, i am able to nail tones all across the board...plus it would be cheaper!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Maybe run an 11 Rack in the engl loop for tone variety. They are running around $500 used and give you tons of Fender/Vox/Marshall tones as well as covering effects bases like rotary speaker cabs for the weirder Soundgarden tones.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

having seen Soundgarden many times, some sort of mesa _____ rectifier, should do the trick. Pearl Jam i always thought of as marshall tone with the occasional fender clean?

Comment

Theres new Premier Guitar Youtube clip on Soundgarden gear.

http://youtu.be/uEl7u9Z3lK0

Comment

Just throw a Wampler Triple-Wreck pedal in front of it...done.

Comment

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
              Ok, so I'm involved in the beginnings of a cover project that will only cover Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Pearl Jam and Nirvana. My current rig which I am absolutely in love with is My Engl Fireball and Marshall 1960AV sounds amazing with my current hard rock/metal cover project. I was planning on using this rig for the new project, but I'm wondering if there isn't something that can cover a wider range of tones. The Engl's gain is fine for AIC and Nirvana, but for some Sound Garden and Pearl Jam, I am using the clean channel with a tube screamer. It's passable, but I can't help but think that there isn't a multiple channel head that would fit the bill better. I'd like to stay in a reasonable price range say about $1000, but preferably cheaper. I was thinking a EVH III mini or a Carvin V3 or V3m or maybe even a used JVM if I can find one cheap enough. Thoughts? Maybe it as simple as replacing the tube screamer? I'm open to any and all ideas.
              I'm not familiar with the equipment those bands used but my guess if you want something flexible would be an RM100. The price should be in the $1000 budget. For some reason I'm thinking an Orange flavor of module might work good for some of that.

Comment

All good ideas. The Eleven rack is an interesting idea. So is the RM100. I had an RM100 a while back, but I just didn't give it enough time to play with different modules. I shoulda held onto it. I'm thinking different stomps might be a good place to start. The Engl's gain is great for AIC, not spot on, but it works. I'm feeling that It's kinda working for Soundgarden as well especially with the neck pickup. I need a better distortion pedal than the TS9 for Pearl Jam. Something Marshally. And a good fuzz for Nirvana. Is there a good distortion/fuzz pedal any one can suggest? I don't want to eat up too much room on my pedal board.

I just thought that maybe a 3 channel head with clean, overdrive and high gain would be a decent choice. Hell, I could get an Eleven rack and use it with a Tech 21 power engine. Thoughts? isn't it just wrong to go all digital with a grunge cover band?

Comment

First off, I really like "your decision" to play AIC, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Great music from the 90's and IMO are not Grunge, just rockers without the makeup.

Having one amp to do it all might be difficult to find since you are attempting to recreate the sound of 4 different bands. I would say stick with what you have and as mentioned, try putting some different dirt in front of the amp.

I've been experimenting with a Boss Blues Driver as of late. By itself, it's not so great, but in front of the amp using it with both the clean and dirty channels really gives it a nice boost. It took a few minutes to tweak, but I was very impressed by the sound difference.

Comment

This will help the Soundgarden side of things at least...

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Hey Jim, I am going to go with a different approach. I think a Marshall DSL 50 or 100, your Vintage Marshall 4 x 12 and a standard Fuzz Face would cover all those tones in spades. The TSL would work too.
                      The clean tone is outstanding on the DSL and the TSL. The gain channel is organic and a little loose which is perfect for all those bands. Most of the bottom end in AIC comes from the bass although alot of people think its the guitar tone. Its not. Its bass.

Throw your G-Major in the loop for effects. You will need chorus, delay, reverb, some sort of rotovibe type sound and of course a wah pedal.

I am not a fan of the Eleven Rack. I think it sounds thin and processed live and will suck the life out of your amp if you use it in the loop or in the 4 cable method.
                      Last edited by jgcable; 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        Hey Jim, I am going to go with a different approach. I think a Marshall DSL 50 or 100, your Vintage Marshall 4 x 12 and a standard Fuzz Face would cover all those tones in spades. The TSL would work too.
                        The clean tone is outstanding on the DSL and the TSL. The gain channel is organic and a little loose which is perfect for all those bands. Most of the bottom end in AIC comes from the bass although alot of people think its the guitar tone. Its not. Its bass.
                        LOL! Odd hearing someone recommend a DSL. It seems to get bashed so often.

I have both the DSL100 1/2 stack (since 1998) and the RM100LB (6 months). But I don't play any of those band's stuff.

I still say go with RM100 for the flexibility with modules, FX loops (line level) and power tube selection. But for ear pleasing tone, my DSL100 is still my favorite.

Comment

I can't say I'm a fan of any of the bands mentioned but the Marshall DSL and Randall RM100 series are very nice sounding amps with a good bit of tone variety ranging from clean to heavy distortion. Be aware that there are some underspec'd pieces in the Marshall DSL/JCM 2000's. A friend of mine is tech and he fixes these all the time. I have a DSL 50 which I plan on having him check out even though its running perfectly fine.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Well, after what I heard Saturday night I think the choice is clear. Original 2 channel Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier running through your Marshall Vintage 1960 cab.

Delay pedal in the loop and use the orange and red channels for rhythm and solo.

Marc's guitar tone was perfect in every way.

Comment

Yeah, I love that amp. He's an amazing player too. I'm actually looking at Mark IV's again. I wouldn't want to get another head unless I get to try it first so the eBay thing is out. I'd just get a dual or triple rec from there, but i really think some just have the magic and Marc's head has that magic.

Comment

Working...
                              X