Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your experience with the Peavey XXX 120 watt and a Peavey 4x12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your experience with the Peavey XXX 120 watt and a Peavey 4x12?

I can pick this up for $600. I am looking for what I had in my Mesa Single Rec: Clean/Creamy/Jazzy cleans, accurate vintage gain and full on down tuned orgasmic crunch.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

I own a XXX Combo that I run through a 1960A cab that sounds GREAT!!!...... Two dirty channels and a crystal clean third!!!!
    All hail the 'King'
    R.I.P~ RLC

Comment

Thats exactly what you are going to get with that rig. Actually, the Triple X 120w is more in line with the Dual Recto.
      Its a GREAT rig if you are into the Rectifier vibe.

Comment

Well, I traded my POD HD500 and two 12" Harbinger PA speakers for this. After having the Boss GT8, GT10, Pod Pro and Pod HD 500....only thing I can say is FUCK MODELING!! I know this isn't the best tube amp out there, but, damn!!!! I forgot there were actually notes and harmonics within a chord. Only problem now is putting together some FX. -Lou

Last edited by LouSiffer; 01-29-2013, 09:15 PM.
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
          Well, I traded my POD HD500 and two 12" Harbinger PA speakers for this. After having the Boss GT8, GT10, Pod Pro and Pod HD 500....only thing I can say is FUCK MODELING!! I know this isn't the best tube amp out there, but, damn!!!! I forgot there were actually notes and harmonics within a chord. Only problem now is putting together some FX. -Lou

Lou, thats a damn fine rig. Its a monster. Its the Peavey version of a Dual Rectifier. All three channels are great. If you put a patch cable between the send and return on the loop you can use the level control on the back of the amp to have an adjustable footswitchable solo boost just by turning the loop on and off. It takes pedals or processors very well. I have the 60w version. Its a great amp and can hang with any of the other "high end" amps that I have. I use it for band rehearsal and small gigs because its only the 1 x 12 60w version (1st year) but its just an overall amazing sounding amp.

Comment

Some advise.. if you gig alot... switch out the casters for some heavy duty ones. The casters on that cab suck. Make sure all the screws on the back of the amp are good and tight along with the speakers. Thats a very nice cabinet btw... sounds really good and can thump with the best of them.

Comment

I have been trying to put it through the paces. Thing is loud as hell. May have to get a Hot Plate just to bring it to reasonable levels. -Lou

Comment

Great rig. Make sure you check out the common settings to squeeze the most out of it. I will probably pick up a XXL head in the near future. One of the best solid state heads out there.
                Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post

Great score, brah, and nice price on it too. I've got the little XXX 40 FX combo and
                  love it. You will kick ass with this setup!

Comment

If you run the XXX amp on 4 ohms with two speaker cables going into a (XXX cab or any stereo cabinet that is 8 ohms) on both sides (left and right) you will reach levels only known by the pro's. I was shown that little trick by an amp builder. It allows you to stress out the tubes even more at lower levels. The damping switch is by preference, I prefer mine on tight, gives it that extra punch on the low end while producing screaming highs. Just make sure you have the cabinet is switched to stereo and not mono or you will fry your head. Very nice secret to know.

Last edited by walshula; 04-01-2013, 12:35 PM.
                    I like black and white guitars

Comment

another trick is to put a little jumper between the send and return effects loop jacks and you can have footswitchable adjustable solo boost by using the footswitch and dialing it in with the send and return level controls on the back. Thats how I use my 60W Triple.

Comment

Originally posted by walshula View Post
                        If you run the XXX amp on 4 ohms with two speaker cables going into a (XXX cab or any stereo cabinet that is 8 ohms) on both sides (left and right) you will reach levels only known by the pro's. I was shown that little trick by an amp builder. It allows you to stress out the tubes even more at lower levels. The damping switch is by preference, I prefer mine on tight, gives it that extra punch on the low end while producing screaming highs. Just make sure you have the cabinet is switched to stereo and not mono or you will fry your head. Very nice secret to know.

That is very bad ass looking bro! All you need is a black and white Schenker V!!!!

Comment

This was the inspiration...

then i got this one...

http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/wa...L Kelly?page=1
                          Last edited by walshula; 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM.
                          I like black and white guitars

Comment

Working...
                          X