Hum/Single pickup options - advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum/Single pickup options - advice needed

I'm putting together my h/s dinky mutt and I'm torn between some very different pickup choices. I've narrowed it down to three options and I need some advice. The body is alder, neck maple and board rosewood, with an OFR.

The only pickup in the list that I have no experience at all with is the EMG SA. I've read the specifications and all but I would appreciate hands on info.

Thanks for all comments in advance.

* Disclaimer - I know many do not prefer a JB in the bridge because of the highs, but it happens to be my favourite SD hum and I have one lying around somewhere, so it would be convenient as well.
    JB - Hot rails
    40.00%
    EMG 85 - SA
    20.00%
    Crunch Lab - Air Norton
    40.00%
    Last edited by levantin; 12-28-2012, 06:43 PM.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

i voted JB/hot rails because i like passive pickups. i have used the 85/SA combo before and liked it just fine. it sounded a bit thicker. the SA is a nice single coil.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My SL1 sounded best with a Duncan Custom, in the bridge position, Cool Rails Middle in the middle, and a Hot Rails Neck in the neck position. My Fender is a Hum/Single and it likes a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position, and a Hot Rails Bridge in the neck position.
      We will know for the first time...
      If we are evil or divine...
      We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

DiMarzio super D in the bridge and SDS-1 in the neck can't go wrong with that combo.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X