Just nabbed a Digitech GSP1101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just nabbed a Digitech GSP1101

Last night I snapped up a used GSP1101 for under 2 bills, and when I say used, I mean someone else owned it before me...the used part is questionable. It appears to be brand new. Score! I know I'm late to the party on these things, but I've just gotten back to using tube amps, and I didn't want to have to go out and buy a whole slew of pedals. Figured this would do the trick. I don't plan on using the modeling, although that's all I've previewed so far...direct into the board. Sounds pretty damn good as a modeler, but that's what I'm trying to get away from. I needs me some toobz for the right tone. Later today, I plan to integrate it into my V3M w/Randall 4x12 cabinet using 4 cable method.

I went with this since the Axe-FX is, and will always be out of my price range for a single piece of gear. From a bunch of reading, I gathered this may be a decent substitute for the Axe.
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

I've been meaning to try one of these myself. From what I've read, its FX engine uses Lexicon stuff. Let us know what you think of it, or post some audio clips. I once bought that 2120 Artist 2U rack which used tubes, but it was DOA (buttons recessed inside the front panel wouldn't budge) and I never bought another. It came with a floor pedal. Too bad I never got to try it out.
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 03-03-2012, 03:45 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I've also thought 'bout buying that rack unit. I've used Digitech racks for a long time, started with a Legend 21 like 15 years ago...

Post your comments when you can.

Comment

Ok, just got back from a little riff session, and I'm really digging this thing. I didn't record anything as I was just banging out some chords and some licks testing out just the patches that come stock with the unit. I did do the mustbebeta firmware upgrade to v.63 earlier this morning. I didn't do any tweaking of the patches whatsoever. I ran the GSP1101 with the 4cm therefore bypassing any preamp in the GSP. I really like the tone of the V3M, it just needs a bit of punching up with some OD. Out of the 99 preset patches, I was really digging on about 50% of them with my amp at full gain with zero adjustments. I kind of peeked in there to see how much eq was being used, and most patches had little.

I was contemplating a Lexicon MX200 prior to buying this, but when I read about the GSP using Lexicon verbs, I decided to take the chance. I was also thinking of individual, verb,delay, tuner, od, gate, etc...in either pedal or rack form, but the $$ were stacking up quickly. This fit the bill perfectly, and I'm sure with some tweaking (which I live for), I'll pull some killer tones out of this box. I was loving this thing using modeling and straight into the PA, but with the tube amp, modeling no longer exists in my world...it's like night and day. With modeling, I miss the growl.

The noise gate alone was worth the $$. I've always had lots of noise playing under fluorescent light and whatnot, but it's no longer...

Now off to get my FCB1010 to work with this thing, and I'll be set till the next bout of GAS!

Comment

I've been looking at these units myself
          If anything, the switching might be a lot faster than my MPX G2 and they can be had for about the same what a G2 costs on the 2hand market
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I'm really digging mine, though the ADA MP-1 + Digitech TSR-12 combo is still my favorite. Can't say I've heard most of these amps it purports to model first-hand (CDs featuring Marshalls don't count as they've been processed), so I can't really vouch for their authenticity, but I've got a few patches that work really well with the MP-1/TSR running direct to PC. I split them hard left/right and get a very full twin-guitar sound.

I also use the 1101's pitch shifter set so there's no Dry output, panned hard right, and use the MP1 panned hard left. Sounds better to me than using the 1101 by itself, even with the dry on one side and the effect on the other.

If you can find an ART X-15, it works great with the 1101, though you do have to assign CCs manually. The official board would obviously already have these links, but I got my X-15 cheap enough.

The 1101 is far easier to program than most rack units I've had (all Digitech, including the Legend and 2101). Everything's laid out in a more logical pattern. You do have to sort through sub-menus for everything, but the screens are laid out simply. Plus you've got the main "amp" knobs right on the front - Volume, EQ, Gain - so the tweaking is easier than watching a blinking cursor or tapping a button to watch a number increase by .5 (as with the MP-1).
            Last edited by Newc; 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              I'm really digging mine, though the ADA MP-1 + Digitech TSR-12 combo is still my favorite. Can't say I've heard most of these amps it purports to model first-hand (CDs featuring Marshalls don't count as they've been processed), so I can't really vouch for their authenticity, but I've got a few patches that work really well with the MP-1/TSR running direct to PC. I split them hard left/right and get a very full twin-guitar sound.

I also use the 1101's pitch shifter set so there's no Dry output, panned hard right, and use the MP1 panned hard left. Sounds better to me than using the 1101 by itself, even with the dry on one side and the effect on the other.

If you can find an ART X-15, it works great with the 1101, though you do have to assign CCs manually. The official board would obviously already have these links, but I got my X-15 cheap enough.

The 1101 is far easier to program than most rack units I've had (all Digitech, including the Legend and 2101). Everything's laid out in a more logical pattern. You do have to sort through sub-menus for everything, but the screens are laid out simply. Plus you've got the main "amp" knobs right on the front - Volume, EQ, Gain - so the tweaking is easier than watching a blinking cursor or tapping a button to watch a number increase by .5 (as with the MP-1).
              If you use the X-Edit software and a USB cable, all of the settings for the individual effects are laid out as if each piece of gear (distortion, eq, gate, etc.) is its own individual rack unit. I find this method much simpler to use as the settings change in real time too. The menu method works as well and isn't really too cumbersome either, but the PC method you can make settings changes on the individual effects more quickly especially if you're changing a couple different effects at the same time. No back and forth through the menus.

I was looking at getting an MP-1 too, but this popped up on the local craigslist cheap, so I grabbed it. And I really wasn't looking for a pre-amp as much as an effects processor. I like the pre-amp section on my V3M, just needed some decent effects. I haven't gotten into the panning for stereo effects yet, although I've listened to it using headphones. I only have a single amp setup at the moment, perhaps you're leading me down a path that will result in more GAS!!! Now that I think about it, I do still have my Randall RG100es head, perhaps I'll just pick up another 4x12 cab and be set...oh crap! There it is

I'm going to give it a go with the FCB1010 since I've got one just sitting here doing nothing, otherwise I'll try and pick up a C2 somewhere.

Comment

I use the Digitech 1101 with a Marshall JVM

I've used this unit for over 2 years and I think it's great. It's got everything I've really ever needed in 1 rack space. Effects and tones, volume pedal, wah, hush, etc. Each effect is programmable within each patch, which is really nice. Whichever effect you desire, you just activate it, adjust the settings, and save. It's easy. You can set it up to work like a bunch of pedals with individual effects like old school, or as patches with multiple effects per patch. You can choose. The 1101 has XLR outputs to the board, and is MIDI capable. I have it set to change channels on the head and the 1101 to my personal specs.
                It has 7 different ways to set it up depending on how you ant to run it. There's a wizard to assist you with the set up. I've used it with the 4 cable method, which is good. The 4 CM allows you to use the amp tones and built in wah. But I noticed slight tone differences so I went straight into the head and used the 1101 as an effects unit in the loop (No amp tones or wah this way). Just unaltered Marshall crunch.
                The other cool thing about this is if you have a single channel amp, like my Marshall 50 watt JMP, you can set your tone, and when it comes to doing a solo, just hit your desired channel, and boom...volume goes up, delay is on, a touch of chorus...back to the original channel. (I highly recommend the Foot Controller that is made for it.) No more tap dancing on multiple pedals (Unless you set it up that way) Seriously, this thing is great for the money.
                I'm not endorsed in any way by the 1101, I'm just very happy to help other players out there who want the same things as I do. Try one for yourself....

Comment

Working...
                X