The Carvin X100B review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Carvin X100B review.

I bought a Carvin X100B and I have had it about 4 days now. I wanted to wait to write the review until I had some time to really dig in to the amp and its features, tones, etc....

First off, the build quality is great. Very nice fit and finish on the vinyl and its rock solid construction. I ordered mine in white bronco vinyl as I couldnt pass up the $20 upcharge for the color change.

second, the features are many. 2 channels. a 5 band graphic EQ on it that is assignable to either channel. a solo boost volume, a gain switch on the dirty channel, 100w, 50w, and 25w modes. the 25W mode is awesome. great tones at low volumes. you dont need to front load this amp either, even at low volumes. it will sustain and growl like a beast. the footswitch is 4 button, for channel, FX, reverb, and Solo boost. you can run 6L6 or EL34 tubes in it, mine has the EL34. amazing clean channel. I mean fuckin amazing. Its damn near as good as the clean on my Bogner Shiva. I mean VERY close. the gain channel is all 70's 80's classic rock and into the metal tones. Its a modded marshall players wet dream amp. It does the modded marshall thing nearly as well as Splawn does.

when you do front load it, it howls even more. I have not tried running any FX in the loop as I dont need to. Its got onboard reverb that gives me enough depth to the sound. I dont like running FX unless I have to. I just like pure fundamental tones.

the big thing is the value..... its stupid. $650 for a all tube USA made amp. Now, I was yakkin on another thread about how there seems to be some quality products coming out of china these days for amps..... and I still stand by that..... but this was built in USA and their customer service is outstanding. I have had to deal with them on my PA gear and they are awesome. Carvin actually answers their phone calls and care about their customers. what a concept. So I cant say enough good about them for that. but seriously folks, for $650 new with a warranty, this thing is a major no brainer. its all go. the down side is you cant go to a store and try one, but you really dont need to. I bought mine off the youtube videos out there, that was enough for me. it delivers and does not dissapoint. Out of the box, its the best amp I have. I mean without loading it up to play at house volumes.

If anyone is on the fence with this amp, just stop and order it. you wont be sorry. its a monster. best value for the dollar on the market right now IMO.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

i have always been curious about these. i jammed on an old one many years ago and was miserable with the sound. i was young, so chances are i wasn't working it right....

anyway, congrats on the new amp!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I came VERY close to buying one once.
      Ended up building amps instead.
      Long story.

Glad you like it!

Comment

I keep telling myself I don't need one of those. I know I don't. but dammit your review isn't helping anything haha.

Comment

Your Carvin amp is gay, and so is your Bogner !!!

What kind name is "Shiva" anywhoo. Sounds like an ancient egyptian lesbian..full of wonderment.

OK, so that's not a bad thing...so what!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dont hate...... I happen to like egyptian lesbians. if they are the hot kind you see in hustler or swank magazine.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
            X