NAD tomorrow!!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD tomorrow!!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT

I am picking up a Mesa Boogie Studio 22 Plus with the matching 1 x 12 cabinet tomorrow!!!
    This Plus doesn't have the EQ. Funny, I though the + meant it had an EQ but it doesn't. This one clearly says its a + on the plate.
    Anyway, I am stoked beyond comprehension. I also have that Fender Pro Junior coming in, in the next 3 or 4 days to get my blues fix going.

I have had a few Studio 22's over the years. I may use this rig for my classic rock cover band. It will be nice not to have to drag my 5150-II and the 4 x 12 cab to gigs. That 5150 4 x 12 cab is one heavy sucker.

Review to follow on the Studio 22 once I get it.

Nice!

:d

Comment

Far out!
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I used to think the + meant EQ too. I found out it mean's it's a higher gain than normal. I like the EQ too much to get one without it.
        Last edited by DonP; 02-11-2012, 11:25 PM.

Comment

cool!!! you still getting the pro jr?
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I still have that 5150 you sold me.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nice grab!

Comment

Those were cool little amps.

Comment

You seem to be migrating to smaller amps. I'm beginning to wonder if a mini amp is in your future.

Comment

I still have the Pro Junior coming. I bought this Studio 22+ with matching cabinet because the price was right and I think its a collectable amp.
                    Came with the original paperwork in the original Mesa large envelope.
                    Now I have to figure out whats wrong with it!

Comment

I fixed it. Simple. It was dirty effects loop jacks.
                      Wow did I get this Studio 22+ and matching cab for a great deal!
                      I opened up the Mesa envelope to check out its contents.
                      Hang tag, original Bill of Sale, manual, Mesa Boogie Bumper Sticker, Sample Settings sheet etc. Everything you would get when you bought the amp new. Judging by the serial number its around a 1993.

Ok, on to the review. This amp has a ton of gain. Great clean channel and excellent reverb.
                      22 watts is just stupid loud. Sounds like the Mark series to my ears but with less bottom end. This is a very bright sounding amp.
                      This amp gets better and better as you turn it up. Its great for jamming at super low bedroom levels. At moderate volume the clean channel is lush and full of body but the lead channel is a little thin, bright and a tad grainy. Thats with the master on around 3 and the channel volumes on around 5. Turn the master up to 5 and the amp completely changes its tone structure. The bottom end comes up, the amp tightens up and it becomes more focused and approaches the Mesa Mark III series. Turn it up to around 7 and it becomes a fire breathing monster. When turned up loud it reminds me a little of a Marshall. Lots of midrange.
                      The EQ section of this amp is active. That means every control has specific tapers and attributes and each one depends on what the other controls are set at. For instance, if you have the bass way up it will change the way the treble controls reacts. Its a balancing act and very easy to dial in. Just set everything at a normal level and it sounds great. The balance between clean and lead channels is no problem at all. At similar levels they are very close to being perfectly balanced. Some people online complain about that balance. I had no problem at all.
                      Another nice feature of this amp is how much control if lets you have just using your guitar volume control. Instant controlled harmonic feedback whenever you want it, roll the volume down to around 5 and you can do that super cool chunky fat rhythm like Funk 41 by the James Gang. At around 8 you can do anything from Old School Priest and Scorpions or Aerosmith. Turn it up to 10 and you can get tones similar to AIC or STP.
                      Warning... Warning.. if you pickup one of these amps and expect to get Rectifier tones or scooped death metal look elsewhere. Even with the middle control on 1 it still has a fair amount of midrange.
                      Do I miss the EQ on this amp? Yes. I have a really nice outboard EQ though.
                      I found out what the +(Plus) means. Its an extra control called Lead master and its used to add more gain to the lead channel and to balance out the levels between clean and lead. It was a factory option and upcharge ($150.00 at the time) I will say that this Studio 22+ has more gain than any other 22 I have ever owned and I have owned 3 of them.
                      Regarding the external matching Mesa 1 x 12 cab... its outstanding.
                      Regarding the build quality of this amp and the cabinet. Its top notch. Build quality doesn't get much better than amps like this. The attention to detail and the quality of the components is the reason these amps stand the test of time.
                      I give this amp the big thumbs up.
                      Last edited by jgcable; 02-13-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]
                        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Awesome, and great review.
                          One thing though...I like to design tone controls so they are independent
                          of each other as much as possible.
                          I think it makes it easier to dial in.

Comment

Those are pretty bad ass. I went to hs with a guy who had one...that and his Kramer Imperial, he was the shit!

Those old Boogies had ridiculous amounts of gain.

Comment

Ya'know I haven't bought an amp in 10 years...don't need to.

My kid did..6505+. He's doin' good on his own. He just plugs and plays. We all sound the same no matter what. These are facts!
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X