Need some input/advice on custom Mesa Boogie options for Mark V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some input/advice on custom Mesa Boogie options for Mark V

OK, I am gearing up to get a Mesa Mark V. now I am not one to sell off gear. I have a long track record of keeping stuff. I study alot before I buy. Now, I have a custom Mesa Road King I ordered 10 years ago and I am glad I ordered something special. I will likely have the amp till I die. I am thinking of going custom on the Mark V order for the same reason. I think I am going to order a V30 in it instead of a C90 as well. anyhow..... the prices of the custom options have gone up considerably since I got my RK 10 years ago. to change vinyl color its $180 to get leather its $350 embossed leathers are $700 stained hardwoods are $820 and private reserve woods get up to $1400 (no chance of me getting that).

I will show you some examples from the mesa site. keep in mind, they are not all Mark V models, but just so you get the color ideas.

The ones I am considering are:

Purple vinyl and black grille cloth
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=485

Blue leather and black grille cloth
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=393

White vinyl and black
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=579

and this one is really wild, Oceania croco embossed leather.... but I would get it with a black grille cloth
    http://www.mesaboogie.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=507

ideas??? opinions? talk to me folks.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

keep in mind, the Mark V is $2250 before options, so cost is a bit of a factor.

Comment

I like to have cool looking guitars, but for my other gear I prefer simple and pedestrian, so I'd go with the stock vinyl/cloth. The cost savings would be even more of a reason.

But out of the ones you picked, I like white/black the best, but if you so much as break wind it's probably gonna show up in some way on that vinyl.

Comment

I hear you. I have considered it alot. I just would like to do something different than the normal standard amp. that Oceania croco is cool stuff, but damn.....$700 for embossed leather is alot of cash. that brings the cost of the amp to $2950...... thats alot.

Comment

I love the Mesa hardwoods, but I likethe croc version the best among those you listed. The embossing adds a little extra something to it if you're gonna go down that upgrade route.

Not a fan of the purple, but if you're never gonna re-sell it......

My Dr. Z is red tolex w/ salt/pepper grill so I like going beyond the basic black too.
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

I wonder how people like the embossed leathers long term. obviously they are going to show wear in time if they are heaily used. my amps spend 99% of their time in my home. I dont gig much. but the inner cheapskate in me dont want to drop $700 on it. I know in the long run I might be happier though.

Comment

i have seen a couple of the embossed leather amps in person and they don't look that cool. i LOVE the oceania color, but the embossing...not so much. something cool, with flair could be a red, blue or the purple vinyl with the wheat colored jute grille cloth - or, if it is an option the cane grille cloth is always classy and flashy at the same time!!
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                i have seen a couple of the embossed leather amps in person and they don't look that cool. i LOVE the oceania color, but the embossing...not so much. something cool, with flair could be a red, blue or the purple vinyl with the wheat colored jute grille cloth - or, if it is an option the cane grille cloth is always classy and flashy at the same time!!
                I do like the wicker can grille, but the problem is they look SO bright. I think they look cool when they get aged and turn a yellowish brown. thats when the look classy IMO. I think it looks best with the hardwoods though. The hardwoods are cool, but I have my RK that is hardwood. maybe I should try something new.

I appreciate your input on the embossed leather. real world input makes a big difference when your potentially spending $700 on something that might not be that cool in person.

anyone have any experience with the smooth leathers Mesa cabs?? how do they look in person?

Comment

i have experience with the suede. it was REALLY durable. stained easily when a little coke got spilled on it, but much like my shoes, i just took a suede kit to it and fixed it right up. a buddy of mine had a smooth leather covered recto and that thing got beat-to-shit!!! of course, he is a bit rougher on his gear than i am, but still, i was shocked.....it looked good though!!!!
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                    i have experience with the suede. it was REALLY durable. stained easily when a little coke got spilled on it, but much like my shoes, i just took a suede kit to it and fixed it right up. a buddy of mine had a smooth leather covered recto and that thing got beat-to-shit!!! of course, he is a bit rougher on his gear than i am, but still, i was shocked.....it looked good though!!!!
                    I hear ya. I think you generally have to be more careful with anything other than vinyl as its the most durable. If I do take an amp out of my house, I have a big roadcase for my RK that will fit most any smaller amps too. I just fill in the empty space with big chunks of styrofoam. so no problem there. but I can see where water or any liquid would be bad for the hardwoods, the suede, the smooth leather, or the embossed. I have a buddy that has a purple suede RK and it shows its age and wear alot. After seeing his, I dont think I would get suede.

I wish they did them in full diamond plate aluminum. that would be cool, and durable.

Comment

i would go for black tolex and that tan color grill, or if i wanted to be a baller do the hardwood thing w a wicker grill.

Comment

Option out now, thank yourself later, is my opinion.

Comment

why not buy the head and just use it with whatever cab/speaker you like. BTW, I like the C90 with Mesa stuff better than V30's
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                            anyone have any experience with the smooth leathers Mesa cabs?? how do they look in person?
                            I've had a smooth leather combo for almost 15 years and I've giged the hell out if it. It is AMAZINGLY durable and if it gets scuffed up I just get out the black shoe polish and go to town on it. Still looks fantasic.

Comment

Working...
                            X