Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The time has come! I need the completely perfect amp

Hi people!

I'll soon have the money for a great amp! I am selling my dual recto 92 to get the money!
    The recto never had the "thing" i liked. I really love a tight punchy rhythm tone as "ashes of the wake", dream theater, metallica and so on... The question is: which amp do i need?
    will an engl be able to deliver that punch and tightness?
    I missed the "fist of tight bass" with the recto. way too sloppy. Or is it the Mark IV i need? in that case, do i need to use a distortion pedal on the mark iv too?
    :idea::idea:

Originally posted by jakse View Post
    Hi people!

I'll soon have the money for a great amp! I am selling my dual recto 92 to get the money!
    The recto never had the "thing" i liked. I really love a tight punchy rhythm tone as "ashes of the wake", dream theater, metallica and so on... The question is: which amp do i need?
    will an engl be able to deliver that punch and tightness?
    I missed the "fist of tight bass" with the recto. way too sloppy. Or is it the Mark IV i need? in that case, do i need to use a distortion pedal on the mark iv too?
    :idea::idea:
    Trust me: Blackstar series one 1046l6

Comment

if your going after dream theater and metallica tones, the mark IV is certainly a good place to start.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
        if your going after dream theater and metallica tones, the mark IV is certainly a good place to start.
        well it seems like the obvious choice.

i allways associate blackstar with discount amps or something? Can it deliver a nice clean tone ?

Comment

well it seems like the obvious choice.

i allways associate blackstar with discount amps or something? Can it deliver a nice clean tone ?
          You are thinking of Blackstar's HT series of amps when you think discount amps, which still are great. The series one are the cream of the crop when it comes to amplifiers, they are all handmade. You can get a great Fender clean tone out of it. Also there are two selling points on this amp, the built in power attenuator which let's you play on 100 watts or 10 watts, all you have to do is turn the knob, and it doesn't sacrifice any tone, at 10 watts you still get the great sound of the tubes breaking up. Also, the ISF control, which on one side gets you the saturated METAL Mesa sound, turn the knob and you'll get the British punch of a Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
            You are thinking of Blackstar's HT series of amps when you think discount amps, which still are great. The series one are the cream of the crop when it comes to amplifiers, they are all handmade. You can get a great Fender clean tone out of it. Also there are two selling points on this amp, the built in power attenuator which let's you play on 100 watts or 10 watts, all you have to do is turn the knob, and it doesn't sacrifice any tone, at 10 watts you still get the great sound of the tubes breaking up. Also, the ISF control, which on one side gets you the saturated METAL Mesa sound, turn the knob and you'll get the British punch of a Marshall.
            thanks ! ill go check it out ASAP!

Comment

thanks ! ill go check it out ASAP!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wBkauwciqK0

Check out that vid. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wBkauwciqK0

Check out that vid. I hope you find what you're looking for.

by listening to your video and others ive looked at, I think this amp sounds better than anything else ive heard
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TzS...eature=related

Comment

by listening to your video and others ive looked at, I think this amp sounds better than anything else ive heard
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8TzS...eature=related
                  You can't go wrong with Mesa, have you heard the Mark V? Willie and Mark of LOG test it out on their tour bus in the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2t9Hax53GNY

Comment

Mark V

Comment

Randall MTS
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The Blackstar amps don't do much for me
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I think he is better off to look into the Mesa mark series amps given the tones he is looking for.
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

One thing to keep in mind when thinking of Petrucci's Dream Theater tone is that its an extremely complex rig. The Mark IV may be prominent but I've seen Dream Theater live several times, Petrucci has incredible live tone. But that live rig is a multi amp setup with some sounds coming from amps, others from rack gear, and some things processed through pedals while others are through more rack gear. Expecting to reproduce that with one amp, Mesa or otherwise, is unrealistic.
                            Its a great tone to shoot for though! Great cleans, great distortion that smacks you in the chest, and leads that cut through without being abrasive
                            What amp to get? Well I suppose the Mesa Mark IV is a good start but I don't see that as being cheap. All depends on what you want to spend. For an affordable amp that can do good cleans and distortions alike, I'll second the recommendation for a Randall MTS. If you want to spend more, there are tons of options out there. I don't own an Engl but I did hear them demo'd at NAMM last year, including by Marty Friedman, sounded great to me!
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Thanks for All the greatest Answers! Yes i know i cant reproduce that Sound, but ive seen tons videoes on youtube that defines that sweet AMP. I cant afford the v but i Can afford the iv! And the iv sounds nettet on YT

Comment

Working...
                              X