Here we go again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again

Put a couple JJ ECC83Ss in the Line6(had Chinese crap in it from the factory). Really breathed some bass and body into the tone. A little more hair too. Verdicts out if thats an improvement or not. I was kind of figuring on a more subtle difference, but its way bassier now. Gonna have to do some tweaking on it again. May not need the bass boost in the eq pedal model now. Well see. Fun times. :think: Also had an old US Sylvania and RCA to throw in it, but apparently one of them is bad.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Nice descriptive thread title there
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, when you see twitch posted a thread in the amp section, then it goes without saying hes messing with the workings of an amp again. So its no surprise. Its just a case of "here we go again." Mod it til its sucks ass, or catches fire.

Comment

I feel like JJ's choke the tone in all the amps I have tried them in. But some amps might actually benefit from that.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
          I feel like JJ's choke the tone in all the amps I have tried them in. But some amps might actually benefit from that.
          ^^^^agreed!

personally, I love Sovtek and Tung Sols.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have three sets of JJs bought directly and from a few resellers as well. I was not able to get any set to work well. I mean all of the tubes are working, just the tone is really far from desirable. Not saying it is true for everyone, purely my experience.

Sovtecs, Svetlanas - entirely different experience.

Comment

I like JJ's, Tung-sol's, EHX, Sylvania, GE, GT, all in different situations.. I really never found a hard and fast rule on any of them. Loved the JJ's in my Peavey Ultra Plus head. Factory GT's in my BV120 were fine. In the Randall MTS I have, every one has served a purpose so far in a module, or the amp, even a NOS 5751 in the PI..
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Heh, one of the JJs lost vacuum and died right before the practice before the show last night(it was used, so what can you do). So I grabbed an Egnater GT 12AX7 from the other guitarists fried Tourmaster head, wasnt gonna go all the way back home for another tube, Im lazy. I dont like this combo. The tube that fried was the PI tube. Ill have to throw those vintage tubes on the tester and find out which one is the bad one.

I havent had an amp yet I didnt like JJs in. I dont like EH except in the more grainy amps like cranks, Marshalls etc. Ive had JJs in a Carvin X100B(full retube), B52 AT100(preamp), Line6(preamp) and Ive found the tone to be an improvement.

GTs, Ive had no luck with them in the preamp. The ones I always seem to get are more microphonic than other brands and it causes feedback issues. This Egnater branded one is just a flat out tone sucker.

Rubys and Sovteks have always been good in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  Heh, one of the JJs lost vacuum and died right before the practice before the show last night(it was used, so what can you do).
                  Seeing my hafler and ADA still with their original tubes (Audio Glassics) when I bought them in late the '90s (and still going strong) I'd say 'used' shouldn't really be an issue
                  The only tube that ever failed on me was a NOS 5751 (also lost its vacuum, and I questioned the NOS status)

Personally (tubes tested in V1 position) I think the most bland are the sovteks
                  The most neutral Elektro Harmonics
                  Chinese Audio Glassics/Shuguang cripsy up top
                  Tung Sols Defined upper mids (my fave when it comes to an allround tube that can cut through without piercing highs)
                  JJ Defined lower mids with a rounded off top (great for knocking the icepick high end off of some setups)
                  I have a GT 12AX7r2 that is gainy but somewhat scooped and a pair of rubies that are a bit like JJs but with more clarity
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                  X