No announcement yet.

ADA mp1 vs. Marshall jmp1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. Like a well designed tube amp with a well thought out layout, I think pretty much most if not all parts could be sourced and repaired/replaced if need be.

Mine has been going strong for ages save for a good shower in contact cleaner and fresh tubes when I bought it.

I mean as an example, what could you not repair/replace on a say JCM 800 head these days if it failed?

Comment

I am no electronics expert - but the only thing I can think of is the front panel with the push "buttons". I have an original that works perfectly fine. I bought it a couple of years ago unmodded. I also have a Roland GP8 that I bought brand new in 1988 (?). I changed the battery (battery back up) about ten years ago just because. Otherwise its rock solid.

I think all of the rack units built back then are pretty solid. I believe alot of guys still use the old Yamaha SPX90, BBE Sonic maximizers, etc., and alot of other units that came out during the rack craze period. Judging by the number of horror stories I hear about the G-Major's, maybe they should be looking at the manufacturing of the older units.

Comment

I agree with you there!

Both of my Intellifex units are holding up well as is my BBE 422 as well as my super old Drawmer DS201.

Heck even my newly bought early 90's Rocktron Prochorus is looking and sounding like new.

These were solid units that were in most cases built in the USA with top grade components and it shows.

Not like the cheap crap of today mind you.......

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
          "Unless you ask Voo Doo Amps, who wont mod MP-1s anymore because they're slowly reaching the end of their life"

Really? Based on what if I may ask?

It's a well built and well designed unit and from my (limited) knowledge I fail to see how any component that actually failed could not be traced and replace with the same value.

I have some old gear from the 80's (Loft comes to mind) that was equally well built and has stood the test of time.

What exactly do they feel will fail with these pre-amps please?

True, I find it hard to believe the 'standard' parts like caps and resistors can't be serviced
          But specific ADA parts may become a problem, but even only there I would think it be things like chipsets that went out of production
          (a problem old synthesizers also have)

I would think 'refurbishing' an ADA MP-1 may be more expensive than buying another, making it a financial Total Loss, from which Voo Doo Amps reasons
          coupled with 'some' parts unavailable, I can see why they chose to discontinue servicing/modding
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

i like the JMP-1 way better. My MP-1 blew up. To me it always sounded more solid state than the JMP-1, so i honestly didn't care when it went "POOF!!!"

Comment

I own an unmodded ADA MP-1, I don't think I will ever sell it It's really good for lead work and heavy rhythms, although the 'mid' frequencies are on the trebly side. It can get noisy at high gain settings, but I run it through a BBE362NR and a small adjustment to the noise reduction dial sorts it out. I agree the tones you get may not be to everyone's tastes, but I personally like the sounds I get from my setup. The clean tones are ok as well, though not stellar. I have never played through a JMP-1, although a friend of mine bought one and returned it 2 days later saying it wasn't metal enough for him haha. Here's a clip of me playing my Charvel 650XL through the ADA, I think this preamp is built for this style of music:

Last edited by ShredC650XL; 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo, meant to be '362'
              1989 Charvel 650XL, ADA MP-1, Lexicon MX200, BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer, Marshall EL-34 50/50, Marshall Mode Four MF400A

Comment

Very Cool..But Tony Mac didn't use a MP-1 recording that. He was using Peavey amps at that time, and changed gear every year still sounding exactly like Tony Mac. The JMP-1 is plenty capable of playing that..as long as the p-l-a-y-e-r is. Hands go a long way.

Trust me the JMP-1 is "metal" enuff..or I wouldn't have it. Metal is what I do, and only do..pretty cleans don't means shit to me honestly. But the Marshall has 'em.
                But I use my Marshall, Uber, 6505,..ect as single channel amps. I'm from the plug N' go VH...Iommi...AC/DC..Nigel Tufne school

Also, I beleive my JFX-1 is a secrret weapon to my tone as well..it's the whole package. My playing doesn't hurt either. Dave Murray sure loves 'em.

It's all preference, I've wrote books on the JMP-1 here. It's no secret I worship them. Do a search..and they're they are. But ya gotta find your own sound, no matter what tools get ya there. You can't ask people to do that for you. That's truly impossible. At best we can get ya in the ballpark.

I'm not a fan but nobody can deny that Steve Carpenter's (Deftones) , or old Fear Factory's tone isn't metal enough. Nor is my faves Tore Moren's or Jorn Viggo Lofstad's. Who?...yeah, exactly. They cut they're teeth on JMP-1s just as many metal bands Like Soilwork, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, ect have...just like MP-1s...and ect.

You must try these things yourself..there's a bazillion soundclips on youtube...fuggums in the asses. I posted clips of the JMP-1 that made Pete (Twisteramps) drool..how is he anywhoo?
                Last edited by horns666; 01-11-2012, 02:21 PM.
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                  Very Cool..But Tony Mac didn't use a MP-1 recording that. He was using Peavey amps at that time, and changed gear every year still sounding exactly like Tony Mac. The JMP-1 is plenty capable of playing that..as long as the p-l-a-y-e-r is. Hands go a long way.

Trust me the JMP-1 is "metal" enuff..or I wouldn't have it. Metal is what I do, and only do..pretty cleans don't means shit to me honestly. But the Marshall has 'em.
                  But I use my Marshall, Uber, 6505,..ect as single channel amps. I'm from the plug N' go VH...Iommi...AC/DC..Nigel Tufne school

Also, I beleive my JFX-1 is a secrret weapon to my tone as well..it's the whole package. My playing doesn't hurt either. Dave Murray sure loves 'em.

It's all preference, I've wrote books on the JMP-1 here. It's no secret I worship them. Do a search..and they're they are. But ya gotta find your own sound, no matter what tools get ya there. You can't ask people to do that for you. That's truly impossible. At best we can get ya in the ballpark.

I'm not a fan but nobody can deny that Steve Carpenter's (Deftones) , or old Fear Factory's tone isn't metal enough. Nor is my faves Tore Moren's or Jorn Viggo Lofstad's. Who?...yeah, exactly. They cut they're teeth on JMP-1s just as many metal bands Like Soilwork, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, ect have...just like MP-1s...and ect.

You must try these things yourself..there's a bazillion soundclips on youtube...fuggums in the asses. I posted clips of the JMP-1 that made Pete (Twisteramps) drool..how is he anywhoo?
                  I'd love to try a JMP-1 some day! not many guitar shops near where I live (Banbury, England) have one set up for people to try though...and my current funds won't let me have one .

As for it not being 'metal' enough, that is completely not my opinion, it was an utterance made by my friend.

Nearly all my gear is second hand or was bought as a gift, I was a student when I bought/received them, and they were all I could afford at that time. I Used to play a JCM900 but didnt give the tone I was looking for. I played the ADA through the JCM900's power amp section and it sounded pretty decent though, very close to Alex Skolnick's tone from Testament 'The Legacy' album. About the TMac mention, I knew he didn't play an ADA MP-1, I just wanted to demonstrate that it was a unit suitable for that style of music
                  1989 Charvel 650XL, ADA MP-1, Lexicon MX200, BBE 362NR Sonic Maximizer, Marshall EL-34 50/50, Marshall Mode Four MF400A

Comment

Wow..I thought the JMP-1 would be a plenty where you live. Yeah, you're a good player and that is one of my very favorite instrumental albums of all time..Billy Sheehan and Steve Smith were firing on all cylinders on EOS. That was a real breakthrough record IMO, that was ecliped a year prior to YJM's friggin' shred Tsunami. As well as Vinnie Moore. But, Yngwie got all the attention. He was just sooo friggin' OTT!...and still is. Actually too much Yngwie gives me a headache. I'll take Uli Jon Roth..any day..all day.

Yeah with the right tools the player makes all the difference in the world. Lame players plug into our stuff and sound like ass...same gear.....settings..lame player!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                    X