No announcement yet.

NAD Randall RG-100 Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I owned many, many Randalls BITS. They were cheap as dirt..I was snatchin' 'em up for 100-200 bucks a head. I had 'em in Black, Grey Ozite, Snakeskin, White, Silver..RG 100, RG 120, and RG 80's seemed to be my fave for some reason. Fun fuggin' amps to play..that's for sure.

My only complaint was they became pretty shrill when playing with a loud drummer. I always dialed up a killer sound assuming it was loud enough for band levels...until the fuggin' drummer started playing. Just a tad more headroom was all I needed really. Other than that..I loved 'em. I nailed George Lynch's -Tooth N Nail- era Dokken tone BIG TIME..Nail era..."Don't Close your Eyes". I tweaked those amps to THAT sound.

Oh never run ODs in the loop. Actually you really don't need one for that amp. I just ran a Boss DD3 and NS-2 in the loop and was good to go.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I was going to play with my bro (drummer) tonight but we put a new ball joint on the old jeep instead... so I still have yet to play this amp with some drums... I turned it up pretty loud today and you're right the sound does change... as for not having an OD pedal, it just doesn't have that over the top Panterica scream by itself that I want. Without the pedal like RR_YJMFAN said, Boston is about as good as it'll do. Maybe I should have waited and spent a little more on a Randall RG100 ES, but hey for $150 bucks shipped this fucker rocks!!!

I wonder why these old Randall amps don't fetch more? Maybe I'll find out when I finally play with my bro... :dunno:
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
        Loving this new/old amp

This thing is loud with great sustain on clean or distortion... never owned a Randall but it seems like it was built with some pride.

Where do I look to find out what year it is?

My last RG100ES that I owned, I pulled the chassis out to clean the pots and "1987" was written on the chassis in a spot where you could only see it when it was out of the headshell. Does your amp have the pull-pot compression on the treble pot like the ES heads do? I really like how that makes it sound more tubey. You lose some volume but those heads are loud enough to compensate.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

No there is no push pull anything just 2 channels with Master and Gain knobs.
          sigpic
          Action Jackson

Comment

Love those amps!
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

do you guys consider a RH150 on the same quality lines as that RG100, or is like comparing Marshall to Peavy?
              I'm trying to figure out if I should give this thing to a needy player, but don't want to do it if it is pure junk and they will throw it in the closet forever.
              http://youtube.com/amimbari

Comment

Here is with the pedal out front... sounds great in person... junky point and shoot camera mic is weak.

You get to see my ugly mug in this one!!!

over the Ebony goodness!!!

sigpic
                Action Jackson

Comment

Getcha pull!!!

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  Love those amps!
                  Me Too... got it all jacked up to get up!!!

Fugging Slays!!!

What an amazing difference the V30's make... I literally have some chub going... for what I spent for this stack altogether I'm as happy as a fat girl in a cake store!!!

Freaking amazing quality and sound for the price... I think these Randalls are an overlooked Gem.

Getchapull.jpg
                  sigpic
                  Action Jackson

Comment

Sent you a pm about the amp, amimbari.
                    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Some Pantera at the end of the video!

sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

got it cowboy. Hope it works out for you. But nobody answered my question about it. What is the difference between RG and RH all tube vs SS?

Comment

Originally posted by amimbari View Post
                          got it cowboy. Hope it works out for you. But nobody answered my question about it. What is the difference between RG and RH all tube vs SS?
                          Currently, RH are the heads and RG are the combos. The RG80 and 100 seem to be the exception to that rule. To my knowledge, there are no RG/RH tube heads/combos, with the exception of the RG50TC(combo), the rest are SS. Randalls tube line are the Diavlo, MTS and RT series. They also have the Valve Dynamic series which include the V2, T2, and the G3 series RHs, which include a tube driven mosfet power section and on the V2/T2 a tube preamp in addition to the SS preamp as well. All the VD series have been discontinued, as well as the RG/RH series, though they still have them listed on the site.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

thanks Twitch.

Comment

Thanks guys for completely hijacking my thread...
                              sigpic
                              Action Jackson

Comment

yes.... hijacked completely... and what did you want in the first place, an owners manual?
                                I thought you were a REAL guitar player..you didn't get one with your guitar, ya just play with the knobs till you get it right

Comment

Working...
                                X