NAD - Laney and Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Laney and Fender

Well, I've had the Fender about a month now, the "new" Laney has been at my house about a week now.

I really like the Super Champ XD. The one problem is the 10" speaker. I've run it through the speaker on either of my Laney combos and it sounds so much better! I've been looking into building my own 1x12 combo chassis for it - really a night and day difference!

I got lucky with the Laney. Its an AOR30 (30 watt) with a Celestion G12L-35 inside. I was visiting my bro in Omaha for 3 days and got lucky enough to spot it on craigslist while I was there. I had to ship it back home, but thankfully this only weighs about half what the AOR50 combo weighs. So far I like the 30 more than the 50... Its a LOT tighter on the bottom end. I've heard on the 50 to use a 12AT7 for the phase inverter tube, but haven't got around to doing that yet.

I can definitely hear a lot of Criss Oliva in these Laneys. It was actually reading through old gear lists of his that I even discovered Laneys, either that or someone here mentioned it. Not sure.

Anyway....

The Fender Super Champ XD

Laney AOR30 combo

My 3 amps (AOR30 AOR50 Super Champ XD)

Congrats. Those AOR30's kick serious ass. way more so than the 50 or the 100. As you said, the tone is much tighter on the 30, in a very good way. they are just great amps. I sitll have mine I got in 1987.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I have an AOR50 head and combo, but the first Laney I tried back when (1987 I guess) was an AOR30 combo. I remember loving that combo, but at the time I didn't have the cash for it. I've put a V30 in the Combo and it helped a lot compared to the unoriginal speaker it came with. I'd love to find the original Fane to put in there.

Laneys are a great deal for the money.

Comment

The AOR 30 rocks.

Comment

that reminds me, I put a V30 in the AOR50 to replace the fane. I'll have to play around with the speakers since I still have the fane laying around

Comment

I have a Laney 4x12 cab too. damn great sounding cab. those Fane speakers are nice.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

There's a cab at a pawn shop I frequent in the Nashville area. They have a list price of $299, but it's been there forever. I'd offer no more than $150. I'm tempted to get it, but I don't know where I'd put it. I currently go AOR50->1960A loaded with 75's when using the head. I'd pop the back to make sure what type of speakers are in there.

Comment

I retubed an old AOR30 head for a friend once. LOL...6V6 tubes. It wasn't bad sounding at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                  6V6 tubes.
                  That's why. For some reason, there's a flood of EL84 amps on the market and few 6V6 amps. I have a Gibson Explorer Amp, Blues Jrs, Kalamazoo Model 12 and Model 1, all with EL84s. I'm tempted to punch the chasis and install some 6V6 tubes instead.

Comment

Working...
                  X