Amp suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp suggestions?

I sold my 120 watt combo amp a while ago, because of moving and other stuff and now I'm ampless (new word?)

I need help choosing a amp. I want a halfstack now and I just have a couple questions. I wan't to know more about tube powered amps. I've seen a couple of carvin amps that are fairly inexpensive that are tube driven. What is the maintenance involved with tubes? I don't want to always have to buy tubes when they get worn out or break. Are they easy to take care of?

I've also been looking at Carvin's sx 300 halfstack and for the price I don't think it can be beat. It's a solid state amp though. It says it has tube emulation, so it sounds like a tube amp, but it doesn't use tubes. Its a 100 watt head with 3 channels... clean and 2 distortion channels. Its $279 for the head direct from carvin. Has anyone had experience with these? I was thinking even if the distortions don't sound amazing I could still use the clean channel with a multi effects pedal like a rp1000 or gt10.

I really been leaning towards Carvin, because their made in the usa, they are all handbuilt (supposedly), good customer reviews and the price.
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

There is an art to not electrocuting yourself when reaching in around the tubes, but you don't have to do it often unless you randomly get a tube that's a lemon or one breaks in transport or something.

Lots seem to like Carvin amps around here like the V3. But "tube emulation" kind of sounds like a gimmick although you still may like the sound of it.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Only Carvin I've ever liked is the 6l6 equipped X100B. It doesn't do metal without a pedal, but it takes pedals like a slut. You can score a used one for not much more than that solid state you mentioned.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I wouldn't worry about maintenance of tubes and always having to mess with tubes as a reason not to get a tube amp. Like Larz said, it is not something you have to do often.

I have a Marshall 100w head I bought new in 2002 that still has the original tubes and sounds great, and a Mesa Boogie 30w combo I bought new around 1996 that still has the original tubes and is a beast. So I've been using tube amps exclusively for over 15 years and have never had to swap a tube. My amps don't get gigged out, but they get used almost daily for at least an hour or so.

Comment

JCM 800 and never look back

Comment

I have a Marshall JMD1 and am quite happy with it. I have the combo but it is available as a head (50w and 100w versions) too.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

for under a grand apart for carvin... check out used marshalls, if you get lucky a used mesa, and dont forget about peavey's new or used. i personally would go for the peavey they have everything you need and for the right price.

Comment

I have a marshall jmp 100 from 1976,bought it in '84 for £80,would not part with it,other amps have come and gone,but the warmth and creaminess from the marshall makes any servicing costs worthwile.

Comment

Marshalls or nothing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
                    Marshalls or nothing for me.
                    Does a Lee Jackson count? I miss mine
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

The SX300's are fine SS amps. Loud, clean and built very well. If you ever opened one up you would be very surprised. There is literally nothing inside of these amps. I don't think Carvin makes anything that isn't good.

Comment

Working...
                      X