EMG pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pickups

I'm not really familiar with these, and my general impression after reading a bunch of threads here is that most people dislike them. Today I setup a friend's LTD and then we played it through my Boogie Studio 22. Playing clean, it was unremarkable, but the sound of the bridge pickup through the lead channel was just phenomenal - it sang and sang. I'd be interested to hear any opinions, and any thoughts about the strengths and weaknesses of these.
    My other signature says something funny

I think the main complaint with the EMG's (pre X series at least) is that they tend to eliminate the character of the wood in the guitar. In other words a mahogany guitar with EMGs tends to sound the same as a basswood guitar with EMGs. The Duncan Blackouts are similar but let a bit more of the guitar wood and construction through on the voicing. Actives are great for 2-3 note power chords for sure.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Okay, thanks. I seem to be getting things mixed up in my old age, so when I said 'bridge' pickup, I actually meant the neck pickup. This was a mahogany guitar with a maple cap (my friend I really lucked out on this, i think - he picked it up for $400 dollars used, and it's a great guitar). When I was playing it, I was going for the old Santana thing, and the higher single notes had amazing sustain and a really nice character that evolved over time. My PRS does something similar, but this had it's own sound that's made me seriously think about getting a hold of an EMG-equipped guitar.
      My other signature says something funny

Comment

I loaded my Guitar with EMG SA/SA/81 HSS and they rule... I also payed over $200 for the entire setup, so of course I am going to say they RULE!!!

Really though I bought this setup because Mr. Hetfield used EMG81's in his guitars for most of the old Metallica albums and that is what I like to play... Mr. Gilmore uses EMG SA single coils in his Fenders and who doesn't like the sound of GOD he makes with them?

It's all personal preference... try them out, get sick of them you will have no problem selling them.

Most or all EMG kits now come with quick connect wires and pots which is just awesome.
        sigpic
        Action Jackson

Comment

I can certainly say that I belong in the group of people who do not like EMGs, in particular 60, 81, and 85. I have never tried the SAs so I can't say anything meaningful about those. In my opinion, the aforementioned models lack character, are too fuzzy and compressed compared to, say SD SH-5 and SH-6, which are my preferred bridge pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by Nimitz View Post
            Really though I bought this setup because Mr. Hetfield used EMG81's in his guitars for most of the old Metallica albums and that is what I like to play...
            Which "old" Metallica albums are you talking about? He didn't start using them until Justice.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              I think the main complaint with the EMG's (pre X series at least) is that they tend to eliminate the character of the wood in the guitar. In other words a mahogany guitar with EMGs tends to sound the same as a basswood guitar with EMGs.
              That's also a bunch of crap. EMGs do sound different in guitars with different woods.
              Personally, I love the 85 in the bridge with either a 60 or 81 in the neck.

Comment

+1 on the 85 in the bridge position.
                I tend to like the Blackouts better, but it's all personal choice. If you like them, then stick with them.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  That's also a bunch of crap. EMGs do sound different in guitars with different woods.
                  Sorry I meant to preface that with the classic "I have been told..."

I actually have very limited experience with EMG's myself. I do use Blackouts in my Model 5.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I agree, I think there is some internet forum "groupthink" going on with that whole thing. I've had four different EMG 81 guitars, and they all had different personalities as far as tone goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                      I've had four different EMG 81 guitars, and they all had different personalities as far as tone goes.
                      Agreed. I never understood that whole 'they make every guitar sound the same' mentality. I have 2 soloists with the 81/85 combo, and they sound very different to my ears.

Comment

i agree emg's are awesome and they sound different in every guitar. if you like that super aggresive clean compressed sound then there is no other pickup(besides other actives) but IMO emg's are the best.

Comment

+1

For the longest time, I was on the "I hate EMG's" bandwagon myself until I got a DK1 in trade and that came with stock EMG's. And then I got them in my DK2 and had Mike Learn paint over them. Now I have a RR24 with a single EMG 81 in it and all the guitars sound very different.

Experimenting with the AXE FX's drive tools and eq's and what not, its clearly evident that high gain amps love harsh trebly pedals in front of them and it actually tightens up the low-end. That's what the EMG's are essentially doing. If you love metal, they are simply awesome. They do not clean up as well as passives do, but its fine for me since i just switch to a different patch for clean tones on the AFX.

I like the 81 in the bridge just because its been so long since I tried a 85 in the bridge and so don't even remember how that used to sound. But you can definitely take Joe's word for it.
                          Sam

Comment

My one and only gripe with actives in general is the overhaul required to implement them. Otherwise, they definitely have their place. Ive only had one guitar out of 4 or 5 that I did not like the tone of with EMGs in it. Honestly though, I dont think that guitar would have sounded good in any circumstance other than the popping and crackling it would make in my fire place.
                            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by petez0r View Post
                              i agree emg's are awesome and they sound different in every guitar. if you like that super aggresive clean compressed sound then there is no other pickup(besides other actives) but IMO emg's are the best.
                              That's the thing I've always loved about EMGs... that aggressive, clean, compressed sound. I've never been that big of a fan of the 81 (I feel it can be a bit too bright at times) but it works well in certain guitars, especially for tuning down to D or Drop C.

Comment

Working...
                              X