Vanity vs Function and $$$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanity vs Function and $$$

Ok, here's the deal. I finally have the absolute, best rig I've ever had. I can't ever remember being this happy with my tone. Here's the rundown....

Engl 60 watt Fireball
    Gmajor in the loop for switching between channels and adding different effects to clean, gain and boost patches.
    TS-9 in front with my Morley Bad Horsie II. I use the TS-9 for overdrive tones on the clean channel. Oh yeah I almost forgot the MXR smart gate in front which is a necessity with the fireball.
    All that into my old faithfull Late 80's Mesa 4x12 halfback. I swapped out the C90's for Newer Vin 30's. I cannot tell you how badass it sounds with the older Mesa branded Vin 30's.

photo2.jpg

This setup is everything I've bought sold and traded for in search of perfect tone in the past ten years. It sounds as good at low levels as it does cranked. It's the perfect gain structure I've been searching for and the clean is crystal clear (JC120'ish) and it's super easy to dial in. Here's my dilemma...

The Engl is about 2 inches wider than the halfback cab and it looks stupid. I know. vanity can be a bitch, but I can't help it. The head only hangs over about an inch on each side. Functionally, it's fine. I've considered getting a Mesa Standard (Stiletto) 4x12 or a Marshall 1960 with vin 30's. What do you think, is it really worth it? I'm leaning towards keeping as it is, but I'm not sure. The halfback is so easy to lug around and it sounds so good. Plus keeping the half back won't cost me a dime!

Flame on. I deserve it for acting like a litte bitch!
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

hey, i feel ya. that kind of stuff drives me NUTS!!!! that's why i am glad rivera heads are smaller!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yeah, uneven stuff bugs me too. Id be all over looking for a wider cab. +1000 on the noise gate
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I just noticed that my head is wider than my cab. Dammit!
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Wrap the cab in some black electrical tape until it matches
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Dude, I have insane OCD...that picture drives me batty.

I have issues..

Check it out..all my knobs have to be pointed or aligned in PERFECT symetrics..... Or it doesn't sound right. Example. I must find a combination of EQ..such as Noon, 9;00, 3;00..or if a knb is at 2;00..then one MUST be the same or Noon or the opposite of 2:00//which would be 10:00..which would look like a V pattern. This has been my entire musical life. Oh, BTW I had two 31 band graphic, and parametric EQs. I'm talkin' 'bout a rubicks cube, waterboarding death!!! I've spent years trying to get three sliders right!...Fuggums..never...never...never again!

I think that's why I love my JMP-1 so much because it's just digital number settings. They can't be bumped, moved and it always sounds consistant. Heads always sound different to me from one day to the next, and I KNOW it's those fuggin' godamn knobs!

Oh, it goes much worse from there like tubes. I can't replace one bad tube. Nope..they must be ALL new and matching..because! I must always use the same brand strings, picks, cables, underwear, and I vacuum at least 10 times a day on average..because lint is my enemy.

I'm nuts!..I'm fuggin' Rainman and Monk's love baby..Monkman!

For me..It is a guitar, cable, amp..that's all I can take really. My G-Major can blow me!
            Last edited by horns666; 11-22-2011, 12:42 AM.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Get a "live in" cabinet for the head and keep it separate from the cab. Only have your cab showing. Make people wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Check it out..all my knobs have to be pointed or aligned in PERFECT symetrics..... Or it doesn't sound right. Example. I must find a combination of EQ..such as Noon, 9;00, 3;00..or if a knb is at 2;00..then one MUST be the same or Noon or the opposite of 2:00//which would be 10:00..which would look like a V pattern. This has been my entire musical life. Oh, BTW I had two 31 band graphic, and parametric EQs. I'm talkin' 'bout a rubicks cube, waterboarding death!!! I've spent years trying to get three sliders right!...Fuggums..never...never...never again!

I'm lazy and just dime everything (I will scope the mids if doing thrash, but that's it)

Comment

Hey Jim. This is a simple one.

Vanity doesn't matter when you have the best guitar tone you have ever had.

Comment

Get a road case for the cabinet and voila...

But then you'll need a roadcase for the head.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      hey, i feel ya. that kind of stuff drives me NUTS!!!!
                      I feel ya too! at first when I got my TripleX cabs for my 6505 I thought they looked weird with the amp. But as they sound good to my ears, I finaly went over it...

Looking at this picture, it ain't that bad. I've seen way worst...

Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2993[/ATTACH]
                      The road case is a good idea or just make a plywood box around your cab and paint it black. If it sounds good and you are happy with it, don't mess it, you may regret it.

@horns666, I laughed so much that spitted my coffee when reading your post...
                      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

You should see my rig. It looks like it was dragged out of the lake. It sounds like GOD.

I think it matches perfectly because I look like I was dragged out of the lake with it.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          Dude, I have insane OCD...that picture drives me batty.

I have issues..

I think that's why I love my JMP-1 so much because it's just digital number settings. They can't be bumped, moved and it always sounds consistant. Heads always sound different to me from one day to the next, and I KNOW it's those fuggin' godamn knobs!

Oh, it goes much worse from there like tubes. I can't replace one bad tube. Nope..they must be ALL new and matching..because! I must always use the same brand strings, picks, cables, underwear, and I vacuum at least 10 times a day on average..because lint is my enemy.

I'm nuts!..I'm fuggin' Rainman and Monk's love baby..Monkman!

For me..It is a guitar, cable, amp..that's all I can take really. My G-Major can blow me!
                          Wish parts of my rig would blow me. Someone around heres gotta do it, and I cant bend that far. The dog is such a lucky son of a bitch and he doesnt even know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                            The dog is such a lucky son of a bitch and he doesnt even know it.
                            Lucky because he gets to blow you?
                            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
                              Lucky because he gets to blow you?
                              Damn, guess I set myself up for that one. To clarify, he can blow himself, well lick, well just use the term "pleasure".

Comment

Working...
                              X