What should I get for effects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I get for effects?

I'm putting together a small rig and would like recommendations for effects. I mainly play hard rock, 80's hair metal and shred type music. Would you get recommend something like a TC Nova, Boss GT 10 or Line 6 M13? Or should I get pedals and some device that we'll enable me to switch channels in my amp? I want something simple to use. The effects that I would like to have are delay, reverb, chroma and compression. A tuner and a looper would be nice to have. What would you recommend?

Delay, chorus, overdrive, maybe a flanger.

Had a gt-10 but didn't like the tone through my amps so I just use some pedals again. But the gt-10 has tons of features obviously all in one place and a small looper.

I like the boss rc 2 loop station, can stack loops and has several basic drum patterns too that are cool to jam along with.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Don't fuck around. Get the best. Eventide. Preferably the H7600 or H8000. Or the Eclipse. Even cheaper are the modular pedals. Eclipse is probably your best bet and I just saw one on ebay go for $850 or so.

Only pedals I use is a boost pedal and I prefer the convenience of rack effects, and simply put the Eventide effects are better than most pedals I have ever tried, and definitely better than other multifx made by Line6, TC, Digitech, Art, AxeFx and the like.
      Last edited by Animus; 10-21-2011, 10:26 PM.
      2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
      Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Get an Axe-FX. You'll never need anything else.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I've had a Zoom G3 for a couple days and really like it. Simple is what it is. It's setup like three virtual stomp boxes and there are knobs like on a stompbox. It sounds great. Nice delays, nice compression, good reverb, tuner, and probably the best looper I've seen in a multi-fx. I have a GT-10 and like it, but for simple......G3 is great. It has really good modeling too if you want that. It won't switch amp channels, though.

Comment

I have an Ax Fx. Just don't want it for this new rig I'm putting together. I need something that will give me the capability of assigning effects to a particular channel and also the flexibility of switching between channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
              I have an Ax Fx. Just don't want it for this new rig I'm putting together. I need something that will give me the capability of assigning effects to a particular channel and also the flexibility of switching between channels.
              With that additional info, nix the G3 and go for the GT-10. It's amazingly flexible and works great in that kind of setup.

Comment

Will I be able to switch between channels/modules in my Randall Rm22 with the GT10?

Comment

Yeah, I had it do that with my Randall RM50 for awhile and it worked great. I've tried 2CM, 3CM, 4CM, and currently I don't even use modules and am running the GT-10 direct into the effects return.

Edit: as long as an amp has tip/ring 2 channel switching, the GT-10 should work fine.
                  Last edited by Chad; 10-21-2011, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Then I guess the GT will be the winner.

Comment

In that setup, you could put the GT-10 in Manual mode, then it would function like a traditional pedalboard. All of the 8 footswitches can be assigned to whatever effect or whatever you want. You can also add two more footswitches (I did), then there are 10 footswitches available.

Or you could do patch mode and let it apply different effects, amp channels, etc. per patch.

The GT-10 is amazingly flexible.

Comment

I want to have a clean module/channel with a bit of reverb and chrous and a distortion module/channel with a bit of compression and delay, and then been able to switch between the two. If I can do this with the GT 10, then I'll be set.

Comment

Yeah, that should be easy. The challenging part is setting the levels, but I'd probably just put the GT-10 in the loop. Unless you want the compression out front, then 4CM would be the route. That's the toughest to setup and having to deal with 4 cables is a bit of a pain, but it allows for a lot of flexibility while being able to use the channels in your amp.

Comment

Im not interested in using the amp and cab models. Just the effects. I'll see if I can get one cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                              Yeah, I had it do that with my Randall RM50 for awhile and it worked great. I've tried 2CM, 3CM, 4CM, and currently I don't even use modules and am running the GT-10 direct into the effects return.

Edit: as long as an amp has tip/ring 2 channel switching, the GT-10 should work fine.
                              RM22 has DIN connection
                              2 channels + 2 boosts
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X